Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Next steps  (Read 1062 times)

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
Next steps
« on: April 29, 2019, 09:49:53 pm »
Two weeks ago  we had one male and one female Boer kids, from different mothers, and are doing very well.  What must I now do to comply with Defra rules?.My intentions are to slaughter the male later in the year, he's just been castrated, the female I will keep to breed off. Do i need to telephone defra to notify them of the births? and when must ear tagging take place? what tags do i ask supplier for?  Many thanks :goat:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Next steps
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 01:04:36 am »
You don't need to notify DEFRA, you do need to organise tags, goats do not need the eid that sheep have to have, but you can use tags with or without the chip,  just look online for goat ear tags, it will show sheep as well.
Have you been given a herd number? That will be from APHA.
I presume you have a CPH nmbr?

If you are going to register the female, you will need the service certificate for the sire, if registered, and it will be the BBGS you notify
I only tag when they are leaving my property,  they should be tagged before 6 months, but have such a reputation for tearing their ears, many keepers wait until they have to.
Where are the photos then ?  ;D

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:39:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice  Pennine hillbilly, thats simplified things, yes got the herd number & CPH, photos to follow ,  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:50:30 pm »
I'm another one who leaves tags until they leave here. If you do that, make sure you have the tags and applicator just in case you get a spot check.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS