Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bovine tb  (Read 2537 times)

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
Bovine tb
« on: September 09, 2018, 01:27:24 am »
We live in a four year testing area, we have 2 dexter cows that we purchased 4.5 years ago. I hesitate to say they are part of the family but they ware, you know, part of the family!

They were tested for TB after we acquired them, and have been tested again this week. Shocked to discover one was a reactor. They have never left our field, their only contact with other cattle has been three bulls here, over the years.

The reactor will have to be culled; her pal will be tested twice over the next 4 months. I guess the chances are she will React and go the same way.

It’s a bit devastating, not least because both are in calf. Even the young vet was fighting back the tears.

Any advice anybody?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Bovine tb
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:43:31 am »
 :poo:   :hug:  is anybody working on new/alternative therapies for bovine tb?  From the outside (I've never had anything to do with keeping cattle) the current system (as I understand from how it's reported in the media, and I do realize it's the reason for badger culls too, so a very emotive issue) strikes me as utterly primitive, even antediluvian. In particular, the test seems less than perfect, but has appalling consequences for affected animals and their keepers.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 09:38:49 am »
Can offer no practical help but I truly feel for you. I would be gutted in similar circumstances  :hugcow:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 10:58:27 am »
We had a closed dairy herd, no cattle coming in for over 20 years and went down with tb.  It was the end of our dairy days as eventually nearly ¾ of the herd reacted over three years.  Many were as much pet as commercial animals and it was heart breaking.  You have my sympathy.

We kept cattle for a further 7 years but our hearts were no longer with them so have sheep now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:51:51 pm »
That’s terrible luck :hug:

One of the things that worried me the most moving my lot south was moving from TB4 to a TB-endemic area. 

We did hear of farms in the TB4 zone getting the occasional reactor, even when there’d been no movements at all and no neighbours with any.  We surmised deer or badgers, but you can never be sure, of course.  It had been found in badgers 30-odd miles south, but never that far north.

Do you have any other animals on the holding?  Other ruminants, dogs, cats, anything?  It’s unusual in other species but not unknown, so that might be another possible source.

We use AI to reduce the possibility of bringing infection on - easier with our Jersey and Jersey cross than with Dexters, but yours sound tame, so could be a possibility for the future. 

Fingers crossed the other girl stays clear.  You’d get her a companion if so?  Very hard decision.  :hug:

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:37:29 pm »
We live in a four year testing area, we have 2 dexter cows that we purchased 4.5 years ago. I hesitate to say they are part of the family but they ware, you know, part of the family!

They were tested for TB after we acquired them, and have been tested again this week. Shocked to discover one was a reactor. They have never left our field, their only contact with other cattle has been three bulls here, over the years.

The reactor will have to be culled; her pal will be tested twice over the next 4 months. I guess the chances are she will React and go the same way.

It’s a bit devastating, not least because both are in calf. Even the young vet was fighting back the tears.

Any advice anybody?
I am so sorry to hear this :'( it must be truly horrific for you  :hug: :hug:

I think the only thing you can do is hope the other one is clear. Don't let this put you off keeping cows tho, because not all will be this way :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 12:10:24 am »
Thanks all. Yes we have cats (and badgers, and probably rats, and deer nearby) so plenty of possible vectors.

I am resigned to the other one reacting but if she doesn’t then she’s in calf and eventually she will have company. It doesn’t seem fair to buy in another animal

We have some sheep too, and can see the advantage of giving up on Dexters and getting a milking goat or two.

All of this has made me think about the TB strategy we have in this country. Not very joined up, is it?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 06:01:54 pm »
Any advice anybody?
[/quote]
. Don't let this put you off keeping cows tho, because not all will be this way :)
[/quote]

Well, from experience of many TB breakdowns including total herd cull and restocking - it can all be this way. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 09:08:03 pm »
I think until you’ve had your first 60 day test you can’t buy in any stock anyway. My sympathies, having been through this last year it is truly devastating.

VH11

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 06:55:50 pm »
I'm sure your aware but if she is due to calve within 60 days you can apply to delay her slaughter until she has calved. There are conditions etc

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/bovine-tb-getting-your-cattle-tested-in-england

Delayed removal of in calf cattle

You can ask APHA to delay removing an animal, which must be slaughtered, if it’s in the last 60 days of pregnancy. This is to allow the animal to calve. The 60 day period starts from when the animal was identified as a reactor or direct contact.

APHA will consider the risks of delaying removal and will require you to meet conditions before it will give approval.

If APHA agrees that a delay may be possible, you and your vet need to complete these forms. The conditions that apply are in the forms:

VH11

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 06:56:46 pm »
Apologies, I have just seen your original post was a long time ago :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS