Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dry, flaky skin  (Read 1193 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
dry, flaky skin
« on: April 28, 2019, 07:59:25 pm »
Hello all,
Please can anyone offer some advice about what to do for a goat with dry and flaky skin? I've treated her for lice/ticks etc and she doesn't appear to have any parasites so I'm wondering if it might be her diet. She isn't currently producing any milk so I give her micronised barley, a full rack of good quality hay and access to plenty of grass and browse. She also has a red rockies lick and caprivite and a Himalayan salt lick..... what more can a girl want??

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: dry, flaky skin
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 09:29:08 pm »
What did you use to treat for lice and ticks? Some pour ons, such as Ivomec type can cause quite considerable dandruff.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:36:37 am »
I used spotinor.... the skin issues were there before I treated her though.
Maybe I should give her a good wash or rub some oil on her skin?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 03:26:49 pm »
Yes to the wash and oil, you may want to think about zinc deficiency? Although if you feed Caprivite it shouldn't be an issue.
I have a male with very scabby skin (and was treated for mites with Panomec, 3 injections 1 week apart each). I have also just given him a mineral drench, and bought him a Zinc rich Rockie - just need to work out how to fasten it in his pen somehow...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 04:51:08 pm »
I have had males with very scabby skin and nothing either I or the vet tried made any difference so we ended up living with it.  About 10 males over 20 years.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS