Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can i stay in a caravan on pasture land  (Read 3794 times)

john malloy

• Joined Apr 2019
can i stay in a caravan on pasture land
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:09:09 pm »
I am thinking of buy some pasture land but would have to put my caravan on it as its to far to commute

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: can i stay in a caravan on pasture land
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:39:32 pm »
If you wanted to live in the caravan (which presumably you would) then you would have  to apply for planning permission, which would not be granted. Sorry to burst your dream, but if it were that easy just to buy a field and automatically put some sort of dwelling on it, be it a caravan or low impact hut, then everyone would be doing and our green and pleasant land would be turned into a shanty town. :thinking:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 12:51:42 am »
I am thinking of buy some pasture land but would have to put my caravan on it as its to far to commute

"too far to commute" for what purpose ?   [member=194643]john malloy[/member]

You get 28 days "free camping" p.a. without planning permission (or longer if neighbours don't report you).  Otherwise, landroverroy's advice applies.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:19:39 pm by arobwk »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:25:48 am »
Have a read up on the This Land is Ours / Chapter 7 website.  Linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 08:52:07 pm »
I went there (tlio.org) via the 'Linky'.  Mmm - not sure I'm "with" the overall tlio message.  Tlio is not just about stuff relevant to managing a bit of land.  Not sure I will be following tlio on-going.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:19:05 pm by arobwk »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:02:56 pm »
A friend of mine has just been reported for putting up a tent on her land … had to go to see planning dept.....  she already knew about the 28 day allowance ……  she had only put up tent to repair it not sleep in it but planning tried to say it counted towards the 28 days!!    So No you cant just roll up with a caravan and expect to sleep in it. (thank goodness or the countryside would be full!!)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 03:11:16 pm »
A friend of mine has just been reported for putting up a tent on her land … had to go to see planning dept.....  she already knew about the 28 day allowance ……  she had only put up tent to repair it not sleep in it but planning tried to say it counted towards the 28 days!!    So No you cant just roll up with a caravan and expect to sleep in it. (thank goodness or the countryside would be full!!)

A.  It shows that neighbours can, indeed, be a critical factor for the use of one's small-holding !!  (Large holdings won't have so many nosey neighbours able to oversee every move.)
B.  I would say the planning officer was wrong.  While it might be presumed that a tent will be erected for camping, it could just as easily be used as a temporary structure for, say, dry storage (or tent repairs) - no different to a routinely moved field-shelter for example.  As long as one does NOT actually sleep in it AND the tent is moved routinely (say monthly) it must surely fall into the permitted moveable structure category (eh ??) and the onus must surely fall on the disgruntled neighbour and/or planning officer to prove that one has been using a tent for camping and then whether the camping has been more than 28 days in a year. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:39:29 am by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS