Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland x Wiltshire Horn  (Read 3359 times)

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
Shetland x Wiltshire Horn
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:06:14 pm »
Hi guys,
Tomorrow I'm getting my Wiltshire Horn Tup lamb delivered, he has 11 ewes to cover, and 7 of which are Shetlands the other 4 consist of 3 Norfolk Horns and a Shetland x Charolais. Having finished Sixth form now and not going to uni I have the time to try out an experiment I've been thinking about for a while. A man local to me crosses the Wiltshire Horn Ram with a Soay ewe and then the resultant ewe back to an unrelated Wilts. They are used in a very extensive system and graze mostly conservation type grazing and the majority shed their wool. Anyway I thought using the Shetland in this this two generation experiment would produce a nice medium sized compact ewe, with great maternal instinct, good feet, ideal for poor grazing, potentially shed and then produce a decent butchers lamb when crossed with a terminal sire.

Originally I was going to cross my Shetland ewes with either a Texel or a Charrolais, I know due to their wide pelvis they can easily lamb to a bigger breed, however they're not the biggest so was a bit reluctant to use a big ram. The idea was to use a ram lamb, and that's when I saw the Wilts Horn Ram Lamb for sale and after thinking over and over of what the Shetland x Wilts could produce I bit the bullet and bought him. Again I am using a tup lamb just to be on the safe side, to ensure none of my Shetland ewes receive any injuries. The man I bought them off said he lambed them to a Texel this year, but I'm a bit cautious and obviously want to kick this experiment off!

Anyway, I will keep you all updated and any advice or experience on this cross would be greatly received!   

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Shetland x Wiltshire Horn
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »
Sounds like you're thinking about a version of the UK's stratification system - mountain or fell ewe to a larger-framed and more prolific sire then the resulting female offspring to a terminal sire for a better carcase.  You may well breed in hybrid vigour but watch out for losing a good carcase through your choice of breed.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:50:14 am »
You may be surprised how many Shetland x Wilts shed on the first cross

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:24:28 pm »
Sounds like you're thinking about a version of the UK's stratification system - mountain or fell ewe to a larger-framed and more prolific sire then the resulting female offspring to a terminal sire for a better carcase.  You may well breed in hybrid vigour but watch out for losing a good carcase through your choice of breed.

Yes, that's very true, I'm hoping the 3/4 Wilts will maintain a bigger size yet still keep the mothering ability and hardiness of the Shetlands! Only time will tell  :fc:

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 06:25:47 pm »
You may be surprised how many Shetland x Wilts shed on the first cross

The shedding isn't a massive deal for me, but it'll be interesting to see what does and doesn't shed from the first cross!

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:48:20 am »
Our first ever sheep for fattening were Wiltshire X Welsh Mountain.  They were great (though we only had them to fatten so they didn't stay around for long).  They were woolly on top but had the short hair of a WH on their bellies so it looked like they had been very badly shorn.  No need to dag or crutch.  Hope it all works out well.
Helen

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 08:48:42 pm »
Just read your post (was reading elsewhere and got diverted!!) Did the Wiltshire horn x shetland work?? I ask as my few sheep are primarily Dorset Down x which means December lambing!! If they didn't need shearing they'd be 110% perfect. Don't care how you look at it, shearing, crutching, fly strike prevention etc is a pain! The amount of times I've been put off rice........ Anyhow, would like to know.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 02:01:33 am »
Yes I am interested too!! How did they turn out? Any pics?? :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS