Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Poo Experts  (Read 2062 times)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Sheep Poo Experts
« on: April 23, 2019, 07:31:50 am »
Apologies if your eating your shreddies while viewing this  :eyelashes:

Noticed some white flattish sluggie looking things on a freshly laid lamb poo - suspect worms or fluke being shed as they were all treated with Benizmole approx 10 days ago following a recent worm count via Mole Country Stores -

We have received the egg count results back for your sheep.
They currently have a count of 350 strongyle eggs per gram & 200 coccidial Oocysts per gram. They have no nematodirus eggs.

The only one of these which you need to be concerned about is the strongyle results. As you have no previous worming history, you can start with a group one wormer, such as benzimole. This will cover your strongyle eggs as well as tape worm and liver fluke, if you wished to treat for this. After using this treatment, another count in around 10 weeks would allow you make sure the burden has disappeared.

Would appreciate some opinions on what exactly they are.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Sheep Poo Experts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:28:45 am »
I think they are tapeworm 'segments' they break off and leave the live worm intact. but if you wormed 10 days ago with a wormer that treats Tapeworm its probably the worms breaking up and dying.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:06:34 am »
Looks like sheep tapeworm, which would seem to have been covered by the wormer you gave.  I would have thought it would act quickly and the whole worms would have been ejected within 24-48 hours. So I would be asking the vet why you are seeing segments now.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 10:18:24 am »
As I understand it, though, tapeworms aren't really a cause of concern: I had a whole (I assume, it was loooong) tapeworm come out of my ewe's bum last year :yuck:, and the advice I was given was not to worry about it.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:04:38 am »
Tapeworm, nothing at all to worry about.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:32:43 pm »
I know we are told the sheep tapeworm is “of little economic importance” and not to worry about it, but these are my thoughts.

Other worms affect the meat, so reduce carcass value, hence have greater economic importance.

Some other worms cause diarrhoea, loss of condition, etc, so economic impact in keeping lambs for longer, feeding for longer.

However, a girt long tapeworm living in your gut must be taking in nutrients, which the farmer / keeper is paying for.  Indirect costs and less than getting a leg condemned, but still a financial implication in my book.

However, a few sheep with a few worms that they can handle has to be balanced against the cost and stress of gathering and treating, the meds, using chemicals if that’s an issue for you, etc.

But in this particular instance, it is a concern that the flock were given meds which should have cleared out the tapeworm along with the more significant strongyles ten days previously.  Therefore were the meds also not effective for other worms, as well as the tapeworms?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 06:07:57 am »
Thanks for the reply’s.

Having just checked records it was actually 6 days prior to taking the photo that Benizmole was given - I’ve a date in the diary for the next worm check so we’ll see what the outcome is then.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 09:49:04 am »
At least you get a reply! Sent mine off a couple of weeks ago, still no response

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 03:41:20 pm »
Once worms die in the sheep they can take two weeks or so to be expelled in the poo so do not worry at finding dead worms for a while yet.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 12:17:03 am »
Once worms die in the sheep they can take two weeks or so to be expelled in the poo so do not worry at finding dead worms for a while yet.

Well I’ve learned something today :). Ain’t TAS great :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS