Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crovect to do or not to do!  (Read 2519 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Crovect to do or not to do!
« on: April 20, 2019, 12:48:18 pm »
With the temperatures hitting 22 degrees today is it still too early to Crovect the sheep

What’s anyone’s thoughts
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Crovect to do or not to do!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 01:16:33 pm »
Just be mindful of your shearers, who should not be exposed to Crovect applied within the last few weeks. (Many say within the last four months.)

Keep all sheep clean and tidy, so be on top of worming and dagging. 

If flies are about, select open breezy locations for susceptible sheep.  But with shade - just not still, humid shade.

Nothing to stop you Crovecting lambs if they’re old/big enough, as they won’t get sheared this summer anyway. 

Keep your eyes open for greenbottles.  Once you see a couple or five of them in a day, probably time to Crovect the lambs at least.

Downside of early Crovect is that you’ll probably need to apply it again in eight-ten weeks.  And just maybe a third time, depending.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 02:21:47 pm »
I'm thinking about shearing mine in the very near future. What are the downsides to shearing "too early"?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 02:27:39 pm »
Crovect needs applying every 6 weeks. Any longer than that and you risk strike. I would have thought too early to shear ewes with lambs at foot, the weather can be changeable this time of year. Just last week it was 3 degrees and now it’s 20 degrees. If you shear them too early milk production can suffer if it gets cold plus they are sticky and not easy to shear if the fleece/wool hasn’t risen.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 02:55:49 pm »
I think it depends on your shearer and when your planning on shearing. I would speak to him/her and she what they advise. If they can't shear for 6 weeks they might be happy for you to crovect now, or they might say to hold off and they'll shear in 3 weeks time.

I crovected my lambs earlier this week, but won't do the ewes till after their shorn, which should be in 4 weeks. Just try and keep the ewes clean and check them properly.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 03:40:30 pm »
We plan to be away for a few days soon, so I have used clikzin, a more diluted version of clik. I just couldn’t  be away and give them no extra cover even with someone knowable and trustworthy checking them. My shearer is happy and I’m happy using it on the lambs... they should be shorn in 4-5 weeks so the lambs will be covered until the ewes need it again. As with All spot-ons it is horrible to the environment and in a perfect world ........ last year I didn’t use anything til the end of June other than crovect on a struck ram...

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 04:15:44 pm »
We don’t have shearer do to having shedding sheep
No green bottles around yet i will wait for the first sign of them

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 05:37:15 pm »
ah - if you don't have a shearer to worry about then I'd do them now - did my lambs earlier in the week :D

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 05:55:36 am »
isn't the whole point of having a wool shedding breed, that they don't get struck?????

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »
isn't the whole point of having a wool shedding breed, that they don't get struck?????

I still air on side of caution
For me personally it’s so I don’t need a shearer, they produce decent lambs and are good mothers
I never got struck last year I put it down to crovect
I am not naive to think it wouldn’t happen just because they drop there wool

So Answer to your questions is no!! That’s not the point of having a wool shedding sheep

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 06:47:39 pm »
In my time keeping a small flock of Wiltshire Horns I’ve had two instances of fly strike (both fortunately spotted in time to successfully treat). Last year it was during a particularly humid week at the beginning of September. There is a much reduced risk with self-shedding sheep, but they are not immune. Around the base of the horns is a vulnerable spot, especially with mature rams. The same level of vigilance as any other breed is still needed. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS