Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly hen with yellow poo  (Read 2635 times)

beeches4791

• Joined Aug 2015
Poorly hen with yellow poo
« on: April 02, 2019, 06:17:21 pm »
Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone could advise on what might be wrong with one of my girls.  Yesterday, her crop was pretty solid so I was thinking impacted crop and have been massaging it and also gave her some Nystatin.  Today, her crop feels much better but still a bit squishy so either the massaging is helping or it could be sour crop (although no foul smelling breath).  However, her poo yesterday was very watery with some small dark green bits and today she has produced bright yellow poo with dark greeny-brown bits in it.  She is very bright and alert still and is eating her pellets as usual but I've brought her inside as the others have started to turn on her and stop her from getting to the food - as they do :-(

There is no blood in her poo but the yellow colour makes me concerned about coccidiosis.  I've never had a hen with this though so am unsure whether I am right to be concerned or whether I'm just over worrying.

Could anyone advise?

Many thanks in advance

XX

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: Poorly hen with yellow poo
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:32:22 am »
Hello,

If she had coccidiosis she would have all the symptoms you say she doesnt. Blood in runny poo, not eating, listless, etc. Is shes is still eating, try giving her some mixed corn which will firm up the poo. Also if she had sour crop she wouod definately have foul breath :yuck:

She might be just passing something she ate thats upset her digestive system. I would wait a bit and see if the above does anything. If shes being bullied you may need to watch her when she goes back in with them. Just make sure no blood is drawn

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 12:41:14 pm »
Yellow poo could mean worms - Yellow, foamy or greasy-looking chicken poop can be a sign of internal parasites
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:00:17 pm »
With regards to internal parasites, you could drop a poo sample off at the vet’s for examination. Our vet only charged £5 or so for the honour.

Coccidiosis can most definitely be a problem without there being any blood in poo, no blood does not equal no heavy cocci load, but she would feel ill which yours doesn’t appear to show. Again, your vet could tell if there’s a light or heavy cocci load if you could drop off a poo sample.

Very yellow poo, sulphur yellow, is a sign of blackhead which is fairly innocent in chickens (deadly to turkeys), you could google photographs of it to compare to see if it’s similar. Your hen might merely have a few minor issues or a single 24h bug, hopefully she’ll perk up in the next few days. Good luck  :fc: 

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 09:50:25 pm »
Hows the hen beeches4791?? :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS