Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Arthritis in ankles? Supplements?  (Read 1228 times)

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
Arthritis in ankles? Supplements?
« on: April 01, 2019, 11:05:09 am »
Hi everyone,

Our vet has diagnosed arthritis in one of my goats.

She is an anglo nubian who has had problems on her feet for a long time (I have posted before) and we suspect it is a mixture of things, but that arthritis is part of the package. Her fore ankles are pretty 'clicky'.

Just for a little history - she has been 'ginger' on her hooves for a long time, years. So we have not bred her. We have tried managing it as laminitis and I continue to be very careful with her feed and access to pasture and so on, and we often bathe her in Golden Hoof Plus to try and stave off any infection. The vets are flummoxed and have been for years. Her hooves are very misshapen - one cleat bigger than the other) and grow alarmingly - we trim every few weeks.

So it is a complicated picture but I think arthritis is quite possibly part of it... Can I ask does anyone use supplements or remedies to help with this?

Thank you,
Charlotte

Ps The vet has prescribed asprin to help with pain relief (as suggests this will be permanent now) and I already offer willow to help

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:41:37 am by Tree Farmer »

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Arthritis in ankles? Supplements?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:30:52 pm »
One of my older goats had dreadful arthritis last year, if you manipulated his knee (straightened it out) it felt so crackly and clicky it was horrible and he wouldn't put any weight on it at all. Vet advised to give Danillon to reduce swelling and help with pain. He was on 1/2 a sachet a day (in two feeds) for a week, then I started reducing it. He's been on 1 sachet a week all winter (a third of a sachet on alternate days). He seems fine without it now.

Remember that its not licenced for goats so can only be used under direct veterinary supervision and the animal must not enter the food chain.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Arthritis in ankles? Supplements?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 04:07:21 pm »
Hmm,  I have one with a similar disposition. Not one I bred myself. I more recently got a full sister who has a similar problem.  In particular the shape you me tion and very rapid growth, needs trimming twice as often as any other goat and never really achieve a decent flat surface for her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS