Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Size of lambs  (Read 1291 times)

Shire1980

• Joined May 2018
Size of lambs
« on: April 09, 2019, 12:41:00 pm »
I see pictures of some tup lambs and they are huge,whats the secrets to getting them so big would it be December lambing,and kept inside on a high protein diet?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Size of lambs
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:37:40 pm »
My January born lambs put out onto good grass are ready for away now.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 03:40:25 pm »
A high protein diet will result in very large lambs if fed in large quantities. It will also result in more birth problems, and possibly a less than ideal start for the lambs. Hence the guidelines of recommended maximum amounts to feed ewes at each stage of pregnancy.

However, the very best food for growing good lambs is, as mentioned by Buttermilk, a plentiful supply of good clean spring grass. It is high in energy and protein and available ad lib 24/7
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Shire1980

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 06:06:50 pm »
My January born lambs put out onto good grass are ready for away now.

Mine didn't lamb until march but still no grass coming through here yet. I'll need to keep them on pellets for another month at least

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 06:14:34 pm »
I am lucky as my home field was shut away at the start of October and the grass has grown throughout the winter.  The outside edge now has a track for the horses and the middle is shut up for a hay crop.  The horses will graze after the hay has been taken and it will not see any sheep until next years lambing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS