Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting Field  (Read 5064 times)

Annmarq

• Joined Mar 2019
Renting Field
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:50:16 am »
After a bit of advice i have land of 15 acres but have a field just over 2 acres with stable in . I have approached by a local horse owner as to wether I would be interested in renting it out. I know nothing about horses or renting fields could anyone advise me on the going rent I should be looking for.

Thanks

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Renting Field
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 12:30:39 pm »
No idea of price but take advice so that you do not unintentionaly create a tenancy.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 12:59:38 pm »
The price will depend on a lot of variables. 

Is there water/electricity connected?
What are the boundary fences like?
What quality is the grass?
Who repairs the boundaries when broken? 
Does the field become waterlogged in winter?

Be careful, there are some very good, but also some very bad horse owners out there.  I know someone who 'inherited' the horse on their field as the owner did a runner and just abandoned the horse in their field to starve to death.  That is rare though!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 01:04:19 pm »
Ideally I'd want 2 horses on 2 acres. I'd ask for £20 for each horse a week, so £160 a month, which is the same rate as DIY livery around here.

Annmarq

• Joined Mar 2019
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 06:47:43 pm »
Thank you I was thinking between £160 and £200. Should I draw up some kind of contract as I will want the field back at some point for my own use but im guessing that will be maybe 12mths from now.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 07:46:23 pm »
Yes draw up a contract. You should be able to get a draft one on line. I think BHS has one, while since I have done it.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:08 pm »
Thank you I was thinking between £160 and £200. Should I draw up some kind of contract as I will want the field back at some point for my own use but im guessing that will be maybe 12mths from now.

Yes definitely have a contract. You could ask the person how much they would like to offer you for the rent of the field, they'll be aware of local costs and having 'your own place' carries a premium over livery on a busy yard. 

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 04:14:48 pm »
Before coming to an agreement I would go and see the animal(s) in question and check how they are being kept. Is their present accommodation tidy and well maintained, or a complete mess that has been used and abused; eg muddy field full of manure and weeds and fences falling down, and even a load of rubbish dumped. Whatever you see is how your field is likely to look by the time you want it back. If possible speak to the present land owner and find out if the rent has been paid regularly or if the tenant has been a nightmare and they will be gad to see him/her leave.

Time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 04:19:48 pm »
I would ensure you put in the contract that field must be poo picked and muck heap removed every so many months.  Even putting in a requirement to roll at the end of tenancy would be a good idea.  Otherwise you could end up with a messy field!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS