Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barbezieux vs Marans vs Dorking vs Lincolnshire buff  (Read 1269 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Barbezieux vs Marans vs Dorking vs Lincolnshire buff
« on: April 01, 2019, 01:39:49 pm »
Hello
I cant decide which dual purpose breed to choose!
-Barbezieux - one of the best tasting chickens in the world. Very large. Essentially look like a massive black leghorn.
-Marans - I ate a black copper Marans cock. he had to go because he was very aggressive to humans - bruised my legs and made me bleed but he was delicious! Very good amount of meat on him as well.
-Dorking- a native breed. White meat (unlike very dark Barbezieux).
-Lincolnshire buff - in not far from Lincolnshire where most of them live. They care supposed to be quite fast growing but I don't think there is a lot of new blood to choose from.

Not sure which one (or two lol) to go for...
Hmmm
Any ideas? Suggestions?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: Barbezieux vs Marans vs Dorking vs Lincolnshire buff
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 04:30:32 pm »
Out of those 4 I would choose dorking. Their meat is delicuous and they lay a decent amount of eggs too.

Why are you restricted to those 4 breeds? Have you thought about orpingtons or sussex or wyandotte or australorps are good dp birds. There are loads of dp breeds ;)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:54:07 pm »
I know there are lots of breeds but I like specific very rare ones mostly. I like speckled Sussex as well actually and Swedish flower chickens.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:02:20 am »
have you considered the Norfolk Grey? I have two that have grown bigger than my RIR and their eggs, now they're finally laying (slow to mature, 50 weeks for one of mine, while the other has laid 70 since the start of the year) have a significantly bigger yolk:albumen ratio than any other eggs I've ever seen. The SFH is not far short in numbers in this, her second year.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 08:09:46 am »
That's an interesting one!
Haven't considered it before. I was thinking instead of Derbyshire Redcap

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS