Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Twins born over a week apart - question  (Read 7743 times)

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
Twins born over a week apart - question
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:45:42 pm »
I have a small flock of shetland sheep. Almost 2 weeks ago I thought they had finished lambing (8 ewes producing 12 lambs). However a week later I found an additional new born lamb to a ewe who definitely gave birth to a single lamb 8 days previously. There is no doubt that both lambs are hers as she had fluids on her & lamb both times.

The second lamb is a tiny little thing, but very healthy & from day 3 joined the 'teenage gang' & now seems to be running the show! Mum's milk was slow coming through & I brought her & the first lamb in for a couple of days so that I could help out with a few bottles, which did the trick. Since having her second she is in full milk & both are getting plenty.

I know this situation is not unheard of, but is very rare so I doubt I will ever see it again, but I have a question which didn't occur to me at the time & it's too late now. Do you think mum produced 2 lots of colostrum or do you think one or the other has missed out?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Twins born over a week apart - question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:51:55 pm »
Crikey never heard of that before, but I would be intrigued to hear from those that know, sorry I'm no help though.

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:55 pm »
Can't tell you how it happens but I have heard a story like this before but the ewe had 2 sets of twins very tiny two first then nearly two weeks later another set of twins!

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »
 :o, didn't even know this was possible ........you learn something new everyday !

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:20:22 pm »
I would guess that the ewe produced nothing BUT colostrum till the arrival of the second lamb, hence seeming to not be doing her first lamb very well, then when second lamby finally made his entrance mum's milk came in proper.
This is just a guess though.
Well done :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:47 pm »
Well I think you will not really know - I would do the clostridial vaccinations sooner rather than later for the whole flock, given that this last lamb is two weeks younger than everybody else, it should be ok.

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply Colliewoman - interesting theory. For my situation I guess that would be the best scenario  ;D

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »
I would still do as Anke suggests though, better safe than sorry. I'm doing my guys earlier than I would normally cos littlest, we don't think got much colostrum off mum and only had some from one of my goats.

Anke, how soon would you do them if they were yours? I'm never sure how much earlier to go, but don't want to risk losses.
I have had it suggested to do one jab at 5 weeks then TWO more lots to be sure of no inteference from amternal antibodies??
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Kellydebra

• Joined Mar 2019
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 07:27:59 pm »
My friends ewe gave birth to a single healthy lamb 2 werks ago and yesterday had healthy twi s .if i hadn't seen it myself i would never of believed it .has anyone else seen/heard of this .thanks

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 08:18:58 am »
I have had the same this year too but we lost the second lamb.  The ewe will not have been producing colostum for the second lamb and even if she had the first lamb would have drunk it.

Animals of any species that run their milk for days before calving, foaling ect also do not have the same quality colostrum for their babies.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 08:25:20 am »
Unless she actually witnessed both births - and I mean saw the lambs coming through the vulva - it is most likely she stole the first lamb.  And I have seen that, yes, although it’s usually not as long as a week apart. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 10:27:26 am »
With my ewe we witnessed both births and cleaned the cleansing from the individual lambing pens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS