Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on hooves needed  (Read 1064 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Advice on hooves needed
« on: March 24, 2019, 08:16:39 pm »
We only have a small bunch of 12 ewes (none in lamb due to work commitments) but I was wondering for advice regarding hooves and trimming.

They last had a tidy up trim around 18 months ago and were checked last spring once they'd lambed and all were fine.

I know the best advice is to not trim unless absolutely necessary and we've haven't had one case on lameness in 18 months. However, we gathered the girls up today for their Heptavac and thought to check their hooves, the majority were overgrown, starting to curl under and a couple of broken and misshapen hooves. I have given all that needed it a trim to tidy up but no think this goes against leaving them until necessary as none of them were lame at all  ???

On a separate issue over half now have slight shelly hoof and think this may be mineral related (they graze a neighbours 10 acres over winter)? They haven't had this issue previously but last winter they had crystalyx blocks for the entire time due to being in lamb and this year just a salt block. Other than that they seem fine.

Any advice appreciated :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Advice on hooves needed
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:28:10 pm »
Advice is don't trim unless lame, and then generally it is diagnostic

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:33:57 pm »
Relax , if you have had no lameness then consider your self  very lucky , trimming or not is up to you :thumbsup:you can buy a feet and fertility bucket that is high in zinc to help hooves

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 06:46:25 am »
My vet reckons that sheep feet do not grow evenly and there are times of the year when they fold over.  This will wear away further down the line.  It is hard to sit on your hands when the feet are looking awful but I did last year and they came right.  I only trimmed one ewe and that was because one of her hind feet really looked windswept, to the point of starting to look deformed.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS