Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep glucose syrup  (Read 2630 times)

bernara

• Joined Mar 2019
Sheep glucose syrup
« on: March 19, 2019, 10:54:47 am »
After a gap, my wife has started keeping Herdwicks again. The last time we had them she had a 2-litre plastic bottle of a sweet pink glucose syrup which seemed to work wonders with a ewe after lambing.  Neither of us can remember what it was called and searches are not yielding anything similar.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks for your help

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sheep glucose syrup
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:07:55 pm »
May be a Twin Lamb Remedy? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:05:25 pm »
ketol. ketosaid that sort of thing. tipping glucose into the rumen in any quantity is an own goal

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 06:17:05 am »
Mole Country Stores do Glucose in powder form - we make a bucket up for the girls following lambing; cup of powder (Might be two....), 2 tablespoons of salt and topped up with warm water. They lap it up  :thumbsup:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:26:44 am »
Ketosaid is pink

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:34:54 am »
Or forketos.
As above, likely a propylene glycol based liquid which allows the ruminant to produce glucose that isn't just swallowed up in the rumen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS