Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I entitled?  (Read 1148 times)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
Am I entitled?
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:20:08 pm »
We rent our house with 4 acres of land from an estate.
Neighbour farmer told us we were entitled to a payment or something along them lines for farming the ground as we lamb 13 breeding ewes.
Is there any truth in this?
Many thanks folks

hampshiresmallholder

• Joined Mar 2019
  • Hampshire
  • If two wrongs don't make a right, try three
Re: Am I entitled?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 07:52:18 pm »
I presume he/she meant from the rural payments agency. Not sure about the rules for payments and 'farming the ground' though

Are you farming the ground or farming the sheep?? Or both  ???

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:07:16 pm »
As you’re renting it you need to check with the landlord to see if they are claiming the subsidy or whether you would be eligible.

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 08:15:48 pm »
We have just started farming the 13 sheep for the last year or so. Until then nothing has been on the ground since we moved there over 15 years ago.
Who would I be best to speak to about any payment that I could be entitled to?

hampshiresmallholder

• Joined Mar 2019
  • Hampshire
  • If two wrongs don't make a right, try three
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:51 pm »
As twizzel says, i would speak to the landlord first and ask him about it, if not contact Rural Payments Agency, I presume you are registered with them, and ask them.

Good luck russ

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 08:47:40 pm »
I think you will probably be under the lower limit with 4 acres.  I think it’s a number of hectares, and 4 acres is less than 2 hectares.  But I’m talking England and Wales, and I may be slightly out of date, so do check.

You will also have to hold the entitlements, which are bought and sold as commodities.  You must be able to control the land, be actively farming it, hold entitlements for it, and claim it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 06:50:29 am »
If you are in England or Wales you need to have at least 5 hectares (12.5 acres more or less) to claim subsidies.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 03:41:24 pm »
Yep, as already said, min 5 hectares and any areas of woodland does not count as part of that.

You will also need the RPA Entitlements too for the same land, which based on your original question I assume you probably don't have.   

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 04:56:13 pm »
Never mind, after Brexit, CAP will be gone and Mr Gove will be looking after us farmers (although hopefully not in Scotland).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS