Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh dear the ram as gone?!  (Read 2587 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Oh dear the ram as gone?!
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:31:38 am »
Just went up to check the rabble and one of the rams is missing.  Looked over the fence to next doors ewes and oh dear a few orange bums.

Not satisfied with 64 of our own and the competition from another two rams he has jumped the fence and decided to spread his genes further afield - another job on the list.

Luckily although not pleased, the owner is an old hand at this and has seen it before many times by the sound of his voice.

One cup of double espresso and time to go chase the bugger down!!

Baz

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Oh dear the ram as gone?!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:50:23 am »
oops ;D
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »
oops indeed :)

Managed to catch the bastard, not easy when he was balancing around on top of a 500ft cliff top!!

He has actually done a 'better job' over there than on my ewes!! Covered quite a few in a couple of hours.

Got to catch them all tomorrow to change the wax colour probably move fields too as well as the fence is just too knackered to patch properly.

Thank god I got him, was knackered after that.

Baz

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 08:28:24 pm »
fantastic storey .last yere went to buith wells ram sale and bought new ram £1000 pounds the naibour said haw much to use youre new ram i will let you no i said .went up to the top field no ram movement on the ewes .the ram has gone 3 fields up all serviced could not believe it

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:26:37 am »
 :-\...........put our new boy in a week ago now   and whilst he's proven hasn't tupped one yet ::)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:12:01 am »
Ooops!  Been there, and I remember it well.   We had a 'surprise' Welsh/Dorset  cross ram (his mother escaped into the field with the ram) who, like his Welsh mountain mother could jump six foot fences at the drop of a hat.  He was only 6 months old but managed to serve several ewes in the short time he was in the wrong field.  Neighbour, a good friend, not very pleased, but understanding.  Sold him to a farmer with lots of open spaces and no fences not long after.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:06:15 am »
Can't imagine my Ryelands jumping anything but given their physique, I could see them just pushing down a fence. ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 10:06:51 pm »
The fence might just move out of the way as it was so rapt staring at the woolly teddy bears sorry Ryelands ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS