Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeder pellets cycling  (Read 1322 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Breeder pellets cycling
« on: March 15, 2019, 12:01:18 pm »
I have been breading Muscovies for about two years as a personal meat supply. I have been feeding my breeding trio Allen & Page duck and goose breeder pellets for their whole time with me along with greens and in the winter mixed corn.

I have heard recently about only feeding them breeder pellets in the spring/summer when they  lay and sit of fertilised eggs and using a different feed in the off period like a layers pellet.

Anybody else heard anything like that? Any recommendations on a better way to feed the birds is appreciated as i want them to have the best lives possible when they are with me.

Thanks
 :&>

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Breeder pellets cycling
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:10:24 pm »
I think what it means is that they only need breeders pellets if producing eggs that are destined to be hatched out. This is because breeders pellets have a higher level of vitamins and minerals in than layers pellets do. The higher specification is needed in order for the eggs to hatch out into healthy chicks, but is unnecessary if the eggs are only due to be eaten. A typical result of feeding layers pellets to breeding stock is when the chicks hatch out with bandy legs due to riboflavin deficiency. You also can get reduced hatching. However layers pellets are cheaper than breeders, which is why they are not needed if you are not actually hatching eggs.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: Breeder pellets cycling
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:57:23 am »
Thanks for the clear up. Seeing as muscovies only really lay two clutches a year, after their second clutch i will switch to layers until they are ready to lay again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS