Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing For Pigs  (Read 1561 times)

MatthewD90

• Joined Jan 2017
Fencing For Pigs
« on: June 03, 2019, 05:00:56 pm »
Hello

I am hoping to purchase my first batch of pigs (x4 weaners) in August. I have been given a marsh to keep them on which has a ditch around the perimeter of the boundary. I plan to create an enclosure with electric fencing only.

I am very worried about this not being sufficient to keep them in? do I need to train them to the fence? Will they stay within my electric fenced boundary?

Also if they got out, would they go in the dyke?

Any advice on electric fencing for pigs would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

bryntevans01

• Joined Aug 2017
Re: Fencing For Pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:53:40 pm »
Hello.

A couple of things I would like to mention.

When you say marsh? How marshy is it, the weavers will need some sort of firm ground for them otherwise they would just turf it up to a giant mud pool in a couple of days.

You pigs will need fence trained for sure. I tried to put my sow into wired enclosure and she bolted through it on the second zap. They may well be fence trained from the breeder already. If they get out they’ll go everywhere and anywhere. I prefer stock fencing with electric wire on the inside, it’s the safest and secure at way.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 05:34:43 am »
Overall, it's a risk assessment - how bad would it be if they got out?

In our case, their electric-fenced enclosure is within a stock-proof field which we own, so if they escape, they can't go far.

These are our first weaners, and I'll be honest, I was expecting them to wander at some point. However, much to our surprise, they have respected the tape no problem once trained to it, so it is possible.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 08:29:37 am »

Yes, just train them. Many people keep them in with electric fencing perfectly fine. Lots of outdoor pig units use it. The flat wide horse type tape best.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS