Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boers and Bagots  (Read 1865 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Boers and Bagots
« on: March 21, 2019, 06:11:15 pm »
I'll preface this by saying I've not seen either breed in real life, so I might be comparing Shire horses to Shetland ponies...!

Would it be feasible to cross Bagot nannies with a Boer (or Boer-type) buck?
We're looking at Bagots for conservation grazing, however to support the scheme we could do with some nice chunky kids to send to the butcher.
Main concerns obviously are whether a Bagot can safely birth a larger kid, and whether she'd produce enough milk (especially on rough forage).

Any insight appreciated, especially a "ARE YOU MAD DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!"

:thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Boers and Bagots
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:10:14 pm »
As boers are becoming more common, crossbreds are becoming cheaper, may be better trying a couple of them? See how they go on? 

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:28:55 pm »
I've found that Boer's are better grazers than the dairy breeds, the dairy goats I've had always seem to spend most of their time climbing the stock fencing to eat the hedging. Boer might be more suited to grazing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 09:58:46 am »
Scarlet.dragon, the point about needing all females for pure breeding is one that I hadn't thought of but should have. Kicking myself a bit! That might make the final decision to be honest. Also the point about supporting the breed by being a purchaser for young males.

Boers and Boer crosses had been proposed, but I was a little hesitant about their ability to thrive on the forage there. I suppose we could try it and see, and if we get a group of wethers (do you call male castrates wethers??) they can just be sent off when needed.

It is hypothetical at this stage, but thank you for your inputs! I'll let you know if/when anything gets off the ground. Early days yet.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:56:34 pm »
We've sheep coming out of our ears, but I'm worried about them getting caught up in all the brambles. Long term ambitions are cattle, but that's a way off and of course we get into TB testing then (Wales, so annual testing at minimum).

I might know more once I've laid eyes on the site too!  ::) :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS