Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vet fees  (Read 6960 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: vet fees
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:49 pm »
So pay the knacker, but don't moan about his bills, its not his fault your stock became sick and died. Vet bill still nothing so everyone must be happy

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 09:32:56 am »
I have a horse who gets a foot abscess roughly once every 2 years and it follows the same pattern every single time - I have a day looking at him walking about in the field thinking, 'Is he slightly lame or is it just that the field's lumpy?', he's then hopping lame the following morning, I load him up on bute to make it more comfortable for him to move and because he's still moving about on it, the pumping action of the frog helps it burst out of his heel within 48 hours.  Our vets used to have a rule that they wouldn't prescribe over the phone if they hadn't seen the animal in 2 years.  They've now dropped it to 6 months, so when I rang them up in December and asked them for 2 days of bute, they insisted on coming out.  That then got cancelled due to an emergency and they gave me 3 days of bute without seeing him that day, but insisted on coming the following morning, where he was inspected, found to have an abscess, poulticed (which goes against what my farrier says, which is don't poultice until it's burst), and then left me with 20 sachets of bute.  The abscess burst the following day and he was sound again.

Total bill was £125, of which about £20 was for the bute.  They're really taking the mickey.  At least I have enough in the cupboard now to cover the next two abscesses!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 10:12:54 am »
I think vets are now having to see animals more regularly to prescribe over the phone/without a consult in order to reduce antibiotic resistance? Our vets don't go much more than a month without coming out for something  :innocent:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 10:52:49 am »
Fortunately for me my vet classes me taking something in to him as seeing my animals :)  So a ram for a mv blood test taken in a trailer counts as does taking the mule in for its flu vaxination.  I think the fact that they have been coming here and know the set up for 50 years helps us with this though.

hampshiresmallholder

• Joined Mar 2019
  • Hampshire
  • If two wrongs don't make a right, try three
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 12:11:41 pm »
Fortunately for me my vet classes me taking something in to him as seeing my animals :) 

So he doesnt charge as much you mean?? :thinking:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 05:38:51 pm »
Fortunately for me my vet classes me taking something in to him as seeing my animals :) 

So he doesnt charge as much you mean?? :thinking:

They have rules they have to follow on prescribing things like antibiotics.  Amongst other things, our vet needs to have visited the farm within the preceding twelve months in order to be able to dispense antibiotics without a visit.  As they do our TB test, and we’re in an annual testing region, it’s not generally too much of an issue.  But in fact I think we probably have them out once or twice a year anyway, and of course we just get them to have a wee look at anyone who’s worrying us when they’re here for the TB anyway ;).

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 04:16:00 pm »
I will get it back on then; my top tip for keeping vet bills low is don't call the vet
If you want to avoid vets bills, don't have animals! 

Vets bills are just part and parcel of good animal welfare.  That said, we have also been clobbered by massive costs for scans/testing etc which ultimately proved nothing, only then to see the animal in question jog-on like there was nothing wrong with them and go on to lead a very happy life with no problems what so ever.  Bloomin animals!  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS