Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just bought a de-registered croft  (Read 1656 times)

maggieyoung76

• Joined Mar 2019
Just bought a de-registered croft
« on: March 06, 2019, 02:20:14 pm »
Hello everyone,

Thanks for letting me register!

My name is Maggie and I have bought a property with land in the Inverness-shire area. It is as non-traditional build house on over 2 acres of land - half garden and half agricultural. The whole area used to be owned by the original owner of this property and was a croft. They sold of most of for development.

I am interested in re-registering it as a croft and to run this alongside my full time job and am open to any crofting use (as long as it is not disruptive to the area) but am not sure if I can re-register?

The fencing and land need a lot of work and also the house.

Looking for some friendly guidance from you all.

Thank you  :llama:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:51:19 pm by maggieyoung76 »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Just bought a de-registered croft
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:11:16 am »
Best advice is to speak to the Scottish Crofting Federation. Crofting law is very complex, so they, or the Crofting Commission would be best placed to advise.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:11:41 am »
Hi  :wave: Maggie and welcome to TAS. Good luck with your new project and with getting it reregistered.

maggieyoung76

• Joined Mar 2019
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 10:27:10 am »
Hello, thanks for your message, much appreciated!

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 06:58:35 pm »
Welcome to TAS Maggie. Good luck in your endeavours and i look forward to hearing how you get on.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:59:45 pm »
By de-registered you probably mean de-crofted which means it has been taken out of crofting law and is now treated under normal law.
There is nothing in this that stops you using it for any agricultural purposes that you would if it was still under crofting law.

I am sure that you could get it put back under crofting law but you would need to speak to the crofting commission as its not a common procedure.

I don't see any advantages in doing this from the point of view of how you use it for agriculture on a day to day basis but it would it would put obligations on you (and future owners) - primarily to live locally and continue to use it for agriculture.  You may (or may not) think that is a good thing to do for future generations........

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS