Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice in sheep  (Read 2017 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Lice in sheep
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:15:58 am »
Hi all,

I only have a small flock of 9 sheep.

I noticed this morning that some fleece was loose on the front of one of my ewes.  On closer inspection she has a large bald spot on her neck/chest area.  the skin looks pink and undamaged.  Inspecting closer, near the base of her fleece there is some yellow/orange patches which makes me think lice!!  :yuck: .

I will get the vet out next week to look at her, but now wondering if it's too early to shear as I expect treatment would be much more successful if they were shorn.  I am wondering if maybe leaving it for a few weeks and then getting them sheared a little early to beat the shearing rush, which might also help being that I have a tiny flock so not very profitable for a shearer.

I am also wondering if a fly strike treatment might set the lice back abit until shearing time?

I will obviously ask the vet all of this but just trying find some advice ahead of time.

Thank in advance. x
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lice in sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:27:18 am »
If it is lice, Spot On is very easy to apply - just part the fleece with your hand - and usually effective.  And much less noxious than a fly strike treatment.  No doubt the vet will suggest same if lice are found.

You could also try Golden Louse Powder, which you need to rub in. It’s been used here before, with good effects, so they tell me, and I have used it on the cattle and thought it helped. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:20:14 am »
You sure she's not just rubbed the fleece off by putting her head through the fence?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 11:23:11 am »
Loose wool on the sheeps chest and the old bald patch doesn't mean lice , you don't say what breed or if they are in lamb and where in the country you are  , so she may just be starting to rub off her fleece as some breeds do . I f your sheep are not pregnant then shearing is possible depending on the weather .   IF one sheep has lice then others should have as it spreads easily ,  wool tags in the sheeps mouth  and long tags of wool on the body , sheep turning to nibble fleece or  scratching with their back feet causing dirty patches are all signs .   The yellow orange colour is probably  the lanolin , some breeds texel especially can produce a heavy yellow fleece at shearing . So  wait until you get a diagnosis  before worrying    .   Do any of the neighbouring sheep look like they have any of the above signs ?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 11:32:14 am »
Hi all,

I only have a small flock of 9 sheep.

I noticed this morning that some fleece was loose on the front of one of my ewes.  On closer inspection she has a large bald spot on her neck/chest area.  the skin looks pink and undamaged.  Inspecting closer, near the base of her fleece there is some yellow/orange patches which makes me think lice!!

I am also wondering if a fly strike treatment might set the lice back abit until shearing time?

Thank in advance. x

Flystrike treatment and Spot On, and Louse powder are basically the same type chemical - Permethrin. Spot On, as Sally said, is probably the best to use in this case (if it is indeed lice) as it is oil based and spreads out through the grease in the fleece.  However, a good louse powder with permethrin in (not just some herbal stuff) will be equally effective and can be liberally spread around, and does not cause the same skin irritation on bare skin as Spot On does. (If you want to try it - put a drop on your own skin and see how long you can stand it before you have to wash it off! :relief: )
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:34:01 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 12:30:00 pm »
Many of mine are sporting loose wool collars from the ring feeder.  They also have yucky lanolin and suint (sheep sweat) at the base of the fleece.  When I was dagging yesterday some ewes had easily pulled off patches where the fleece was giving way naturally.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 12:45:08 pm »
SPOT-ON  and variants  are deltamethrin which is absorbed into the outer skin layers , this is why the pack says lice will be reduced over 4-6wks as it takes a while to get all round the body .   CROVECT  is cypermethrin  and  DYSECT  is  Alphacypermethrin  both of which  are spread in the lanolin  so spread rapidly throughout the body

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 07:38:11 pm »
UK sheep get one type of chewing/biting louse and    very  very rarely  head lice or foot lice all pour on's kill this louse .   Uk  cattle get  one type  of  chewing / biting louse  and three types of sucking lice which can be treated with spot-on or  group 3 wormers in pour on form . uk goats can get both types of lice and treatment seems the same ??
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:01:06 pm by shep53 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS