Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pigs swollen knee's  (Read 3045 times)

lad-eng

• Joined Aug 2008
  • lancashire
  • my first pigs (pietrains)
pigs swollen knee's
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:50:50 pm »
hi can any one help me please.
my pigs have got swollen knee's. i thought that this was due to them eating out of a stainlees steel trough.
so i have removed this a week ago, just thought i would ask what you all think before i contact vets
thanx
leigh

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: pigs swollen knee's
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:16:15 pm »
Muscle Tearing
(276) This is a common condition in sows and first litter gilts whereby the muscle fibres are torn away from their attachment to the bone and periosteum. This occurs where muscles are attached to the inner surfaces of the elbow and knee joints, and the points of attachment to the pelvis. Affected sows show considerable pain and often adopt a dog sitting position. Inflammation of bone and periosteum result (periostitis). Torn muscles arise as a sequel to OCD, trauma and fighting, slippery surfaces and weak bones. Affected sows as soon as they are identified should be moved to a solid floor area that is deep bedded where the grip for the foot is firm. Soiled or grass areas are ideal. If this is done most will recover found this on google may tie in with your slippery trough? cheers neil

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:30:41 am »
Just a thought, but is your pig the correct weight for her size? Carrying around excess weight could be a factor.

Kate  :pig:

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

lad-eng

• Joined Aug 2008
  • lancashire
  • my first pigs (pietrains)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:24:53 pm »
not to sure about the weight, i will check them when i clean them out. i think i might apply plenty of straw and saw dust in there pen to make the floor less slippery.
thanx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS