NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Junk mail delivered by Royal Mail and how to stop it!  (Read 884 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Junk mail delivered by Royal Mail and how to stop it!
« on: February 02, 2019, 04:38:19 pm »
I'm probably not the only one frustrated that companies have gotten around the Mail Preference Service opt out by paying Royal Mail to deliver the junk mail/leaflets instead.  Well, what most people probably don't realise is that you can actually opt out of that too...  Here's the link for anyone who wants to stop Royal Mail delivering door to door leaflets and flyers https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/D2D-Opt-Out-Application-Form-2015.pdf
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.
Voss Electric Fence

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Junk mail delivered by Royal Mail and how to stop it!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 07:17:42 am »
 Thank you …… I didn't know that
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 09:35:05 am »
I just put a line through the address and write "not at this address" and pop it back in the post box

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 12:51:14 pm »
I just put a line through the address and write "not at this address" and pop it back in the post box

Does that work?  When my aunt died I found she had endless catalogues and junk mail filling every drawer and cupboard, so I returned every one 'to sender' with a note that the addressee was dead, but they kept on pouring in until the mail was redirected, then they all came to ME!!  ::)
Good to know it can be stopped.  I get catalogues which weigh a ton, for stuff I always buy on line.  Such a waste of paper and printing and delivery costs.  When I cancel them at source it also seems to cancel my online accounts.
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 02:11:57 pm »
I just burn it - make good firestarters for those of us with fires. It's also nice to have visitors even if its just the postie!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 05:33:24 pm »
What isn't used as rayburn fodder, goes in recycling , doesn't bother me.  :) . Though if it isn't recycled paper, it is a waste of resources
Keeps postie in a job  ;D ?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:37:56 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:55 pm »

Does that work?  When my aunt died I found she had endless catalogues and junk mail filling every drawer and cupboard, so I returned every one 'to sender' with a note that the addressee was dead, but they kept on pouring in until the mail was redirected, then they all came to ME!!  ::)
Good to know it can be stopped.  I get catalogues which weigh a ton, for stuff I always buy on line.  Such a waste of paper and printing and delivery costs.  When I cancel them at source it also seems to cancel my online accounts.

If it's addressed to an individual at the address then you can mark it "No longer at this address" or "Deceased" and stick it back in the mail box.  Royal Mail then returns it to sender (if they can discern who sent it) or securely destroys it (if they can't);

Under GDPR organisations have to have your permission to send you stuff, although if you're buying from them online it's likely they are either using a "soft opt in" based on the fact you have an existing customer relationship with them to send the catalogues.  However, if you "withdraw consent" by asking them to stop then theoretically they should.  If they don't you can report it to the Information Commissioners Office.

The "flyers" I'm referring to are things like brochures from housebuilders, offer sheets from supermarkets and pizza places etc.

I receive more junk mail through the letterbox than I need to keep the fire lit!  Recycling is all well and good but what about the "reduce" part of the 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)?  How much resource is consumed in the manufacture of the paper, printing, cutting, transport to the depot and distribution from there to the people who use it to light fires???  If we look at it from an environmental perspective, how much additional diesel is used to transport it to the end user who either burns it or recycles it... generating further "miles" for it to be collected, transported and pulped for recycling (if indeed it is recycled)!

Trust me, most of the posties hate it as much as the recipients.  It forces them to go to every house when they may only have mail for 30% of them otherwise; it makes the bags heavier to carry and it's often difficult to post.  If you don't believe me try shoving similar through your own letterbox 10 times in a minute using only one hand to open the letterbox and manipulate the flyer through without cutting yourself, getting your fingers trapped etc.  People have no idea of the hazards the posties face!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 11:12:29 pm »
And then there's the dogs that snap at your fingers when you are posting things through the letterbox.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 09:05:42 am »
It annoys me too, but I can just about tolerate it on the basis that it provides an income stream for a financially struggling organisation. 

If (ie probably when) they are no longer paid enough to deliver this rubbish, I think we will inevitably see another shake up in the postal service. 

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:53:30 am »
Trust me, most of the posties hate it as much as the recipients.  It forces them to go to every house when they may only have mail for 30% of them otherwise; it makes the bags heavier to carry and it's often difficult to post.  If you don't believe me try shoving similar through your own letterbox 10 times in a minute using only one hand to open the letterbox and manipulate the flyer through without cutting yourself, getting your fingers trapped etc.  People have no idea of the hazards the posties face!

As someone who has done many a leaflet drop for our community group, I couldn't agree more

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 08:40:37 pm »
And then there's the dogs that snap at your fingers when you are posting things through the letterbox.

I'm told the cats are worse as bites and scratches from them almost always turn septic... of course posties are not supposed to put fingers into letterboxes but the stupid designs of them these days with spring loaded inner flaps and brushes means that a lot of stuff can't be posted without risking fingers.

I was very amused by "PostyMat" on Twitter and his version of the 12 days of Christmas!

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 09:36:48 pm »
I never had a run in with a cat when I was delivering things but sounds like it's just as well.

Ziggy

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 01:57:00 pm »
As a part time postie I can confirm us posties hate junk mail more than you do however, you have to accept that it is now subsidising the postal service.

If we didn't deliver the junk then the postal service as it is would change and not for the better especially in rural areas. Maybe it would just change to deliveries every second or third day or it could be if you live in a remote location we won't deliver at all and you have to go and collect your mail. The other thing to bear in mind is that it may be junk to you but someone is paying a lot of money to get it to you. They don't do it for fun. Finally think of the jobs its supporting.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 04:06:00 pm »
It annoys me too, but I can just about tolerate it on the basis that it provides an income stream for a financially struggling organisation. 

If (ie probably when) they are no longer paid enough to deliver this rubbish, I think we will inevitably see another shake up in the postal service.

The sooner that shake up happens the better.  There are some brilliant people working on the front line of Royal Mail; unfortunately the high calibre of frontline staff is not matched by the management who seem to be focussed on all the wrong things and are therefore running the business into the ground in my opinion.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 11:28:06 am »

The sooner that shake up happens the better.  There are some brilliant people working on the front line of Royal Mail; unfortunately the high calibre of frontline staff is not matched by the management who seem to be focussed on all the wrong things and are therefore running the business into the ground in my opinion.
But unfortunately it will be the management who decides who goes, and they class themselves as indispensable  :(

E mail help please

Started by Roxy

Replies: 6
Views: 1264
Last post July 24, 2013, 05:00:46 pm
by doganjo
E mail help required please!!

Started by Roxy

Replies: 3
Views: 942
Last post March 05, 2013, 12:29:10 am
by Roxy
Hacked e-mail Account

Started by Fowgill Farm

Views: 1474
Last post July 12, 2012, 10:10:45 am
by Fowgill Farm
The Royal Show

Started by MiriMaran

Views: 1696
Last post June 18, 2009, 08:10:12 pm
by MiriMaran
Royal Show - anyone going?

Started by Roxy

Replies: 2
Views: 1006
Last post July 05, 2009, 07:29:03 pm
by Roxy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS