Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Automatic feeder- good idea?  (Read 2581 times)

Jim Bob

• Joined Mar 2018
Automatic feeder- good idea?
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:30:27 pm »
Getting two piglets shortly for slaughter later on this year but saw an automatic pig feeder on YouTube. I am aware you need to control your feeding so would an automatic feeder be a bad idea. Do pigs eat until they are full or do they eat on even after? Anyone have an automatic feeder or do you all manually feed them each day ?

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Automatic feeder- good idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 07:15:16 pm »
Pigs will eat more then they need which will make them run to fat quicker then you think. Pigs will naturally root around if they need more food.

If you are going to have an automatic feeder then i would limit it to a set amount a day. Preferable in two feeding session but one can suffice. Also you would have to make sure that they both get the intended feed. I say this because one pig could (and probably will be) the dominant one and therefore 'steal' the feed of the other one. I see this a lot on the pig farm i work on when the sows are in the dry paddocks. The dominant sows just bully the others out the way.

If you can, then feed the two pigs apart so they can get their own feed without stress.

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Jim Bob

• Joined Mar 2018
Re: Automatic feeder- good idea?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:14:56 pm »
Thanks. Actually decided to get a joiner friend of mine to make one. I will just pour in the recommended amount each time and the pigs will lift the lid with their snout. Means that it will always be protected from the rain

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS