Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Transporting Companies  (Read 1765 times)

Jaggy

• Joined Jan 2019
Sheep Transporting Companies
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:03:59 am »
 :wave: :wave: :wave:  I'm new to the Forum  so Hello Everyone!

I need help with finding a company who can move my 11 sheep & 11 chickens from Crewe to our new smallholding in Somerset.  Does anyone know of a company who can/will do this?

There seem to be a lot of large companies who do large volumes of livestock but I'm struggling to find a company who will transport small amounts of animals.

I can hear some of you saying 'why don't you do it yourself!'  To cut a long story short, we are being bought out by HS2 (High Sped Rail for those not familiar with this White Elephant!)  They (HS2) will pay all moving costs (so they should) so  I have to get quotes for everything to do with the move.   Also I don't want to move the sheep & chickens myself. I would rather the responsibility was with a Defra approved livestock transport company who are fully insured!

Any help or advice would be most helpful.  Thank You in anticipation 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Sheep Transporting Companies
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:54:23 pm »
There was a previous post about this subject I think - have a search through the forum, not necessarily in the sheep section.

It would be worth speaking to any large haulage firms in your area, they might know of someone. OR be able to put you on as a part load with another.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 07:09:04 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS!!

You dont need licences or anything to move 11 chickens. Just a few boxes with straw in and ventilation and a vehicle with aircon :eyelashes:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 09:43:48 pm »
I used Arlington Transport to move cattle, sheep and ponies from Cumbria to Cornwall.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:45:05 pm »
If you talk to your local livestock mart, they will probably know of livestock hauliers that come to your local markets and travel to / from Somerset. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:03:06 pm »
Hello  :wave: and welcome to TAS.

Jaggy

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 10:59:13 am »
Thanks so mu :poo: :poo:h everyone  :wave:  I'll follow up on all your suggestions.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS