Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wanted - hens (Rosemary you said i'd want more)  (Read 4843 times)

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
wanted - hens (Rosemary you said i'd want more)
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:31:54 pm »
I have 2 silkies (14 wks and i'm still hoping the're girls), I would love to have a few more and my husband has surprised me by not objecting,  does anyone know if anyone is looking to rehome one or two - any breed.  It is frustrating that there are no local suppliers that I can find. 
thanka

Gillian
Tullibody

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: wanted - hens (Rosemary you said i'd want more)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:42:18 pm »
Told you so!

Have you tried the Battery Hen Welfare Trust?

If you want to wait, I'll have some Black Rocks ready in the spring - they're only a few days old yet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:59 pm »
I'm getting my four ex battery hens tomorrow afternoon from the local organiser at Callandar. He has a waiting list but it's worth doing.  I had some before and they were alwasy good layers and so long as they live past a couple of weeks usually live for a few years.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:52:48 am »
which county are you?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:56:09 pm »
Me, Rosemary and Gillian are all in Clackmannashire - why, Rosie?
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:18:10 pm »
It is frustrating that there are no local suppliers that I can find. 
thanka

Gillian
Tullibody

Are you looking for local suppliers of Silkies only? I know quite a few people who have poultry who aren't that far from you. Sandy Cummings near Glenfarg, John Webster near Kinross (not sure if either will have Silkies to spare) and Joan McLaren who is out Edinburgh way, she has something ridiculous like 40 different breeds. All 3 of those show their poultry, so they will probably be looking for some monetry fee for them. Also Gordon Webster up at Dundee nearly always has Silkies.

Remember as a breed they are quite fragile, we had some for a while and they were awfully good at dropping down dead for no reason. I have heard they can be susceptible to a heart defect- not sure if thats true?

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:19:44 pm »
thanks for your reply, i love my two silkies, they are very cute and although they are not pure breed they are my girls(so far), Rosemary has kindly agreed to let me buy two of her new black rock chicks when they are ready and as my silkies are small i am hoping that they will mix togther ok.  My husband will be happy that we will have some eggs but i am happy with my silkies even if they dont lay any time soon.  Is there a forum for scottish silkies that you know of, even for non pure breeds like mine?   

ta G

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 04:21:56 pm »
Because for anyone in Lincolnshire, Manor Farm at Leasingham are selling year old hens which have been freerange for three pounds, fully vaccinated white silver line hens, I am getting some as they lay huge brown eggs and  I have had great success this year with Ross lohmands which I purchased from there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS