Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fence help  (Read 1803 times)

Lucyyoung

• Joined Feb 2018
Electric fence help
« on: January 16, 2019, 02:00:20 pm »
Ive been offered some grazing which at the moment has no fencing so needs to be electric fenced. Ive not used it on my sheep before so am after some recommendations on good fencing (netting or wire) and what would be a good energizer to keep the buggers in (hopefully!)
Many thanks

Farmernick

• Joined Aug 2017
Re: Electric fence help
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:17:50 pm »
Three strands of wire should be sufficient. If the sheep aren’t used to electric then you may find you have a few that try to escape until they get used to it! As for energisers, we use the Rutland Electric Shepherd which is easy to set up and use  :thumbsup:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:32:13 pm »
I use lamb betting because I strip graze my girls and I think it's easier for me. As for energised, Rutland stuff seems to be good

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 05:32:33 pm »
We run our sheep pretty much all year on land that has no fencing (apart from two lambing fields) so we always use electric fence. Never have any problems.
I use 6 strand or 9 strand poly wire (been warned against netting as tend to get stuck), which you can get from mole country stores but I found agri fence to be the cheapest. Its all on reels to tension it which I put on a metal mounting post.
We use polyposts which are 3ft to hold it all up, then bash wooden tree stakes with insulators in on the corners to keep the tension. Then we electrify it with either MVF 12v 1j or 12v 3.5j energisers attached to 110ah car batteries. Have used agrifence energisers too which are good also. The output of the energiser we use depends on how big an area we're fencing.
Hope this helps.
Oh and you'll need connectors between each line of wire if you've got multiple on different reels.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:23:38 am »
I use electric to keep my goats and sheep off a couple of sections of hedge where the stock net posts are failing.
I have small solar panels to keep the battery charged, saves having to swap batteries around.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS