Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sweaty calf!  (Read 5643 times)

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
Sweaty calf!
« on: November 15, 2008, 04:20:55 pm »
Hello
I have 2 Normande calves (born end August) they are both strong and healthy, weaned and boisterous but one is always damp he is also a little bit wheezy and coughs a bit now and then. They are kept indoors with a small exercise run - plenty of ventilation but warm and dry. No other problems - should I be worried? Anybody have similar experience?
Thanks
Lizt

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Sweaty calf!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:57:41 pm »
not my speciality  but sounds like pnuemonia. Check its temperature, if its high call the vet. Do you vaccinate against P? There is a lot of P around this year with the weather being so miserable. sometimes a runny nose can be a sign but calves often have wet noses anyway.
Ian

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 08:37:42 pm »
Thankyou Hexhammeasure!
No  temperature and he seems extremely well in all other aspects. They are getting through a lot more water than previously- though I put that down to just being weaned and going onto granular feed.
Thanks
Lizt

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:15:51 pm »
I would have also thought pnuemonia.

what kind of feed is he on? Was he on feed before he was weaned? My OH finishes cows and we have to be really careful about accetosis (sp?) when they first go onto barley and concentrates if they have come straight of the grass.  We always try not to change to many things at once, the calves are on to creep feed before they are weaned so that the new feed is not to much of a shock to them and their digestive system.

We also clip the backs on our cows to stop them sweating so much and reduce the risk of pnuemonia but ours are inside all winter
Chasing sheep - keeps you young

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS