Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 105,249  (Read 2455 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:13:05 am »
This is the number of stitches in my shetland shawl, which has been completed over christmas.  I do not like it as the varigated merino/silk I have used does not show off the lacy pattern very well.  Once blocked it is going to be wrapped up as a 60th birthday gift for my cousin.

There was a total of 123 hours labour gone into the making of this shawl.

Being a glutton for punishment I have started again but this time in black shetland.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: 105,249
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 01:19:42 pm »
Oh my gosh!  At the number of stitches, at your working them out, and at your doing it again - and in BLACK!!  :o.

I’ve heard it said that the knitters of yore would never knit lacework in black.  They’d knit in white - or grey or fawn, anything but black - which they could see, and then dye the finished item!   But we have better lighting these days, maybe!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 01:20:03 pm »
Oh, and...  pictures, or it didn’t happen  ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:18:56 pm »
I will try to take a picture once blocked.  I invested in a head torch after reading Wombles thread on them but the intended recipient gained another before it arrived and now I will not knit without it, it is brilliant.

I am finding the black easier than the John Arbon tooty fruity which blended in with my Knit Pro symphonie knitting needles.  Plus the minor detail that being commercial stuff from Jamiesons of Shetland it is a lot more even than my first attempt at cobweb, which I got a bit wrong at times not really knowing what I was actually aiming for.  The worst bit was I picked up and used my reject ball by mistake and refused to pull it all out so there is quite a thick bit jsut where the needles change to finer still ones.

Despite all the work I am not happy with it hence the gifting of it to someone who neither spins or knits and who will not notice all the many unique bits which I would call mistakes.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 06:36:32 am »
Wow, well done,  :trophy: a white one was hard enough, don't think I'd even attempt a multi-coloured or black one.Definitely need pictures.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:11:20 am »
I am finding the black easier than the John Arbon tooty fruity which blended in with my Knit Pro symphonie knitting needles. 

:roflanim: :roflanim: #twentyfirstcenturyproblems  :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:44:51 pm »
Well done Buttermilk, both for finishing the shawl and for working out the number of stitches  :trophy: :knit:

I agree about working in black.  I once knitted a very large Aran in Heb yarn and on circular needles so for every second row I had to reverse the instructions.  The thing took me 6 months and by the time I finished it my eyes hurt and I never wanted to see black again.  If you wear a white pinny when you're working in black it does help it to stand out.
I now use one of those daylight standard lamps where I need more light, but I love the idea of a head torch - much more mobile.
Get yourself some of those bright metallic needles (Addi do them but so does Knit-Pro I think) so the dark yarn shows up.

Keep us updated with your progress  :sunshine:

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS