Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple chutneys  (Read 3138 times)

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
Apple chutneys
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:21:32 pm »
Hi all
anyone got a nice apple chutney recipe ? x

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Apple chutneys
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »
This is for Pear and Apple Chutney, useful for those pears that don't seem to want to ripen:

Ingredients:

1.4kg pears - peeled, cored and chopped
450g onions - peeled and chopped
2 cooking apples - peeled, cored and chopped
450g seedless raisins
Juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
570ml white distilled vinegar
450g soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove - crushed
1 teaspoon hot chilli powder or cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon nutmeg

Method:

Place all the ingredients into a large pan along with the vinegar and stir it well with a wooden spoon.

Bring the mixture to the boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally until it thickens.

Spoon the chutney into hot, clean and sterilized jars. Cover the jars and seal them. Let the chutney cool and then label the jars.

Makes appx 1.8kg of chutney.

:yum:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 12:01:30 pm »
Mine not ready yet but I've just made this years batch of this and initial tasting tells me this is going to be a yummy one.

:yum:   :yum:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:01:29 pm »
On Friday I was given LOADS of cookers by my cousin - what on earth will I do with them all?  They are over the top of my huge berry pan so you can guess the amount from that.  Haven't dared weight them yet!  I have had a couple microwaved with sultanas for my tea last two nights - delicious.  It's a nice easy, filling and low calorie snack.  Place one large apple, cored in a bowl, push sultanas or any other dried fruit into the middle and sprinkle a few round the outside.  Pour over a little fruit squash, and microwave for 4 minutes.  Cook a little longer of it's a really big apple.  I add Greek yoghurt for a scrumptious pudding.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »
the same as apple sauce????????????
Craig

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS