Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shutters  (Read 1702 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Shutters
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:19:47 am »
Whilst hiding in the warmest place ( my bed ) away from the draughty rooms of the Croft  I wonder if I should fit shutters at the windows,and what would be best,internal or external ones? Today with the gale driven rain battering our ancient hovel is proving “uncomfortable.
So external or internal ?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Shutters
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 06:44:57 am »
I'd go internal - especially if you can create an air space between the glass and the shutter. It won't be airtight like a double glazed window but it might provide a bit of an air cushion, and you could easily fit draught strips round the edges to get a snug fit. It would also need much less maintenance than an external one.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 07:54:54 am »
Definitely internal shutters as it is much easier to control the fit and open and close them. Internal shutters were originally fitted to our 1840 property behind sash windows and I had planned to refit them to control noise in the bedrooms, as well as improve the efficiency.

External shutters are for keeping out the sun- essential down here.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 08:36:54 am »
You'll also be more tempted to actually use internal shutters than ones you have to go outside to close!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 10:06:14 am »
Where I was brought up in Edinburgh just about all the houses had internal shutters (although most were painted shut and never used).  Never seen external shutters in this country.

They seem to be a pretty unusual thing to fit nowadays (I assume as double glazing has taken over) and you might have to search to find some.  Just last week we had a local joiner make these for us;

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS