Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig muck spreading on grazing land  (Read 2527 times)

hedges

• Joined Dec 2018
Pig muck spreading on grazing land
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:04:26 am »
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can hep me! I have recently had the manure spread onto one of our grazing fields, the manure is mostly from Pigs, but it also has a mix of sheep, goat and chicken dung. the manure was spread a little over 4 weeks ago and I would like to put the sheep back into the field to graze, as its the only field left with any good grass in it. However, I've been told that this is dangerous because most of the muck is from pigs! can anyone offer me any advice on this subject? I've tried googling and I've had no luck finding any useful information on this topic.
thanks,

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Pig muck spreading on grazing land
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:01 pm »
I take it it was spread as solid fym and not slurry. slurry I would give 4 ~5 weeks , solids with the pig content not until its "disappeared" in to the ground about 8 weeks onward , but this time of year with slow if any growth longer.
Solids of pig manure are best ploughed in .

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 02:34:02 pm »
The fields will most likely not practically be grazeable till after you've had some new growth in spring. Or possibly, if there's plenty of growth on the grass, and some heavy rain, then the manure might get sufficiently washed off. But put yourself in the sheeps' position - how would you feel about eating food that 4 weeks ago was plastered in manure?

Apart from the fact that the grass will be virtually inedible because of the manure, pig manure is not good for sheep because of the high copper content.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:36:29 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 03:19:39 pm »
Yeah, it's the copper content (because pig food has high copper levels).  But ... whether that's a bad thing is another matter - here in Wales most land is high in copper antagonists (e.g. Molybdenum) which cause copper to be locked up, so a spread of copper infused manure is a good thing.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 05:52:01 pm »
Copper content of the land up here in Morayshire is closely monitored especially when slurry/potale from whisky distilleries is being spread on the land. I was always told this was because excessive copper is very bad for sheep.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:16:54 am »

Also given that you are Billquay farm - do you have any sheep that are very sensitive to Copper, any of the rare breed ones?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS