Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adam Henson your typical farmer!  (Read 2617 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Adam Henson your typical farmer!
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:22:04 pm »
Countryside and Adam reached a new low with me tonight ..... His farm has its own weigh bridge ! ...,  Such a typical farm ...NOT!    ...and so plays into the thoughts that  'alll farmers are rich '.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Adam Henson your typical farmer!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:59:56 pm »
To be honest i'm not sure he buys half his gear. I'm sure he gets ample sponsorship from companies to subtly  advertise the products
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 10:44:31 pm »
To be honest i'm not sure he buys half his gear. I'm sure he gets ample sponsorship from companies to subtly  advertise the products
So I’m not alone in thinking that too

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:09:41 am »
I was less impressed with Matt Taylor (I think thats his name - does the one show too) leading 2 reindeer with the lead ropes wrapped around his hands - would have made interesting watching had the reindeer dragged him off down the road in 2 different directions. Also, the person tying the young reindeer to the back of the sleigh with a knot that didn't look like a quick release. I must stop watching dross.......

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:44:38 pm »
Yes I noticed the knots too. First thing I was taught when I volunteered at RDA was how to tie up a pony so we could release it quickly if necessary but it couldn't get away.  Except one, Murphy, the one I sponsor, who has discovered how to pull the loop. 

And leading the pony it's a folded end in one hand, a loop, then a hand on top, then another loop to the head collar. Why don't they know these things?  They are safety matters  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 04:55:40 pm »
I went to a new dog training class last month and the first thing the instructor wanted me to do was wrap the lead round my hand for when the dog pulled!  Not no never is my motto on doing that and the idea was to not train my dog to pull in the first place.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 07:38:05 pm »
I went to a new dog training class last month and the first thing the instructor wanted me to do was wrap the lead round my hand for when the dog pulled!  Not no never is my motto on doing that and the idea was to not train my dog to pull in the first place.

Having been dragged the length of South Street in St Andrews, through the Saturday shopping crowd, attached to my young Irish wolfhound who was spooked by a backfire, I agree with you.  On the other hand I wouldn't have stopped her if I'd let go!  That was many years ago, she was our first dog and I could still run then
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 11:15:11 pm »
I knew someone who was dragged by a pony she was leading with the rope wrapped round her hand. Fine until something spooked the pony and he bolted. She was one of the staff in the local riding stables and should have known better. Once her bruises had healed she probably had learned her lesson.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 08:15:08 am »
Ponies are notorious for damaging hands.  A friend was long reining one which took off, the rein was looped and it removed her thumb and seriously broke three fingers.  If she had not been wearing gloves the whole hand would have gone.

Even a small dog can cause harm to hands if it suddenly takes off with the lead wrapped round the hand.  Let alone a large GSD.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 12:13:19 pm »
I broke a finger when my pony jumped back when another horse lunged at him. I had a knot in the end of the lead rope to give grip and as it rattled through my hand, it broke my finger.
To go back to Adam, I don't think there's such a thing as a typical farmer. I guess he's certainly unusual in that he's a TV personality NOW and will be reaping rewards from that in terms of sponsorship but he wasn't always and won't always be, so he's probably right to enjoy it while it lasts.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 01:34:04 pm »
As I understand it he farm's quite a big arable area, nowadays haulage is a major part of what that kind of farmer does. I wouldn't be surprised if he (or more likely his staff) hauled 5000 tons (or more) of crops a year on the road.  That's a lot of trailer loads and the cost of a weighbridge is probably fairly small compared with what he is weighing.

A big Farm is a big business.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS