Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Splitting Conifer Trees  (Read 3212 times)

Clay

• Joined Oct 2016
Splitting Conifer Trees
« on: November 20, 2018, 09:24:40 am »
I have a tractor mounted log splitter that is not very good and some rather large diameter conifer logs that have just been cut. They now need splitting and just wondering when best to do it? Bring them in and let them dry out over winter or do it now?

Thanks for your replies

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Splitting Conifer Trees
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 11:23:34 am »
Unlike oak, which is what is burned here, pine splits easier when dry. Problem will be drying it out when it hasn't been split- it may take a very long time. I'd be tempted to try splitting one now. Perhaps try to split all of it just to halves to increase the drying area, as the bark covering is an effective a moisture trap and whole trunks can only dry from the ends..

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 12:00:35 pm »
I have found all wood easier to split when green. Larch got everything rather sticky but the few rounds we didn't split wet were really hard work a year or two later.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 06:44:20 pm »
As mentioned by chrismahon, conifer splits easier when dry. To speed up the drying process try removing the bark if feasible.

I always try to split wood green but the resin in conifer can be a total pain
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:33:51 pm »
I had loads of room to play on the small farm so after cutting 20 or so 10 inch dia Leylandii trunks into metre lengths , stacked them on a raised platform of plastic pallets ,   covered it over with weighted down corrugated iron sheets leaving the ends & side open .   18 months later chain  sawed it all into 9 inch logs which got restacked  in the same manner and stored for another 18 months .  .

They split as easy as pie on an old electric splitter save for one or two which I cut  length wise as quarters with the chainsaw till I was past the big knot areas then used the axe and lump hammer to finish the job .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS