Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cherry bush not tree  (Read 6095 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Cherry bush not tree
« on: October 16, 2018, 07:25:06 pm »
Been watching some seriously bad daytime tv (shopping channels so please forgive me) and they are saying about a new breed of cherry bush. The channel in question was Idealworld. They really pushed that it wasn't a tree but a bush that only grew to about 6ft high. The name of them was Athos and Pathos. Seems like the perfect thing for my small garden. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of them or any experience with them?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Cherry bush not tree
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 07:16:35 pm »
Cheers MGoM

Because they only get to 6ft height they would be perfect for my garden. I can't have trees in my garden due to the pipes and septic tank on the property in the places the trees would go. I have some places out back for the willow trees i intend to plant but that's it.

I think i feel a purchase coming up

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 10:29:47 pm »
I'm thinking the same thing. Not because of root damage but because I can't climb ladders. There are still a few apples that need picking but I need to wait for someone to do it for me. I did buy a fruit picker thingy on a long pole but I can't tip my head back far enough to see where the fruit is when I'm next to the tree. 

Not sure where I'd put it or whether two are needed for pollination so I'll need to check that out first.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:14:25 pm »
My better half and i love cherries so this bush size will be perfect. I've got wild raspberries growing on the back garden and intend to put some brambles in the area too. So cherries, raspberries and brambles should all keep our breakfasts a little more healthy and brighter in the mornings :)

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 04:50:34 pm »
I grew up in an orchard and we had cherry bushes. Be aware of that it tends to be sour cherries and not sweet cherries. I myself prefer the sour cherries (the darker, the better  :yum:), but not everyone does. They don't just become 2 meters, more like 2,5-3, but a person of normal height can stand on a stool and reach the top. And also think carefully about where to plant it, as they just don't grow in height.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 05:26:15 pm »
I'm sure one of the varieties mentioned above is a sweet version. Either way i shall be getting one or two of them just because they will be easier to manage than a tree.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 10:13:54 pm »
The catalogue describes porthus as super sweet and athos as sweet.

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 12:07:37 am »
The catalogue describes porthus as super sweet and athos as sweet.
Sweet or sour, does not have all to do with the taste, it's a matter of species. Sweet cherry is Prunus avium and sour cherry is Prunus cerasus.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 12:56:38 am »
Unfortunately the website doesn’t give the Latin names.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 04:18:44 pm »
https://gardeninspire.com/bush-cherries/
I wonder if this is the rootstock or related...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS