Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat with Pneumonia (and lots of snot!)  (Read 1628 times)

sidlaw

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Angus
Goat with Pneumonia (and lots of snot!)
« on: October 19, 2018, 08:22:34 am »
Hi Everyone

I wonder if anyone can help.  One of my goats has pneumonia, the vet has been to see her twice this week and her lungs are clearer than they were at the beginning of the week however, she's basically full of mucus and snot.  The vet said see how she gets on over the weekend and if it doesn't start to clear itself they will try some anti-mucus medication to help.  Is there anything else I can do to help her clear it?  Someone mentioned that caraways seeds or turmeric in milk might be good for her - has anyone tried that before? Any suggestions gratefully received.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Goat with Pneumonia (and lots of snot!)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 09:10:26 am »
Garlic is brilliant for clearing mucus. I use it myself when I've had a cold and it stops that after period when your nose and throat are constantly clogged with mucus.
I am sure it would help your goat as well. Get a tub of it from your feed store. It is best taken several times a day as  it doesn't last in the bloodstream, so give it every 3 or 4 hours if poss. If not then give it as often as you can.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 05:40:32 pm »
A couple of drops of Olbas oil in a bowl of very hot water and have her inhale the steam.  It was always Friars balsam when we were children and was also used on horses with flu, but I think that Olbas is better.

sidlaw

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 08:39:42 am »
Thanks for your replies.  I’ve got garlic and i’ve tried the olbas oil yesterday and this morning, small improvement I think, i’ll keep going with it.  :)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 09:09:22 pm »
Sidlaw,

Hi how is your goat now? Hope she is on the mend.

Interested in how she responded to the olbus oil, would be good if you could update us

Angie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS