Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: intigration of a wether  (Read 1319 times)

melodysheep

• Joined Apr 2015
intigration of a wether
« on: November 29, 2018, 07:39:48 pm »

Good evening.
Can I have some suggestions please? I've been offered a poll dorset wether (this year's) but although I've kept Shetland sheep for a long time, I've never actually introduced a 'new' addition to my existing ladies and Freddie (another wether). They are a family group and 5 years old.
 It's probably a daft question but suggestions for the most peaceful way would be appreciated.
 Thank you in advance

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: intigration of a wether
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 08:04:22 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem , it might turn out that he rejects the flock rather than the flock rejecting him , hopefully all will go well immediately  or he may need a while to become part of the flock

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:48:04 pm »
Is it possible you could get two?  New entrants often take a long time to integrate, and it will put the wether under a great deal of stress to be a solitary outsider.  He’ll be much more comfortable if he has a pal with him.  Maybe borrow a second one for a month or two, just until you see that the wether you’re keeping is mixing with the others?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

melodysheep

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 10:36:30 pm »
Thank you but unfortunately I don't think that's possible although I'll ask tomorrow. Situation is that he is, for family reasons, rather special (born on day that mother died) but they have limited grazing and ewes due to lamb in late March. The alternative to me having him is the local farmer to be fattened. Absolutely no pressure!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 12:22:26 am »
I like Sally's idea, but as that doesn't seem to be possible, how about this - could you take out your existing wether and put him with the new lad somewhere, maybe even shut in together for a week, away from the rest of the flock?   That way he will bond with one animal who is also already a part of the existing group, so he will not be lonely and perhaps the rest of the group will accept the new lad more quickly if he comes in with a chum they know.  This has worked for us in the past with ewes - give the newcomer a pal within the flock and it then becomes a member more quickly.  Two together will chum up much more easily than a group v a single newcomer.  It is pitiable watching a single newcomer moping miserably for many months on its own.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:24:31 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 07:36:07 am »
My initial concern would be for biosecurity, those satisfied, I'd turn a new sheep out with my flock without a second though. The flock will gather around and sniff a lot and then just wonder off. If the Wether is a PITA they might put him in his place, but that's part of the learning curve.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS