Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to design & build a culvert bridge  (Read 1725 times)

Houston, WeHaveAProblem

• Joined Sep 2018
How to design & build a culvert bridge
« on: October 03, 2018, 02:13:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend a Civil Engineer that can design and/or build a Culvert bridge to cross a small burn?

Its in Berwickshire, Scottish Borders.

thanks

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: How to design & build a culvert bridge
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:16:08 pm »
I suppose that primarily depends on whether you need planning approval for it. I have two bridges.. one is a right of access from my land to another's filed and is essentially a couple of RSJ's spanning the thing and then planks across those. But the guy whose land they go to has left it neglected for decades and i woudnlt trust it for more than foot traffic along a girder. He takes  a quad bike across those rotten planks and tin-sheets that i wouldn't tread on.
The other good bridge crossing between my own fields is basically a huge concrete pipe section sitting in the stream and then gravel filled to level it and fenced - simple effective and safe for large tractors to cross.
If you need planning for any reason then any architect should be able to put you in touch with appropriate engineers - just wait until the bill arrives though...

pgk

Bogart

• Joined Oct 2018
Re: How to design & build a culvert bridge
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 08:32:22 am »
Getting the concrete pipe section in situ must have been fun. ;D

The original poster mentions a " small" burn I think a lot depends on his/her definition of small. I have a bridge spanning a field drainage ditch using railway sleepers, framed and grassed over takes the weight of a vehicle/tractor fine.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:41:04 am by Bogart »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS