Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much exercise for Lab puppy?  (Read 2812 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
how much exercise for Lab puppy?
« on: October 02, 2018, 11:32:17 am »

I have read a rough calculation that lab puppies should be exercised at about 5mins per months of age per day, so meaning my nearly 4 months old pup should only be getting 20mins of walkies/playing ball/creating general havoc a day…

Is that correct?

Bentley is currently getting about 20mins of walking (with some heel etc training thrown in) in the morning, then (if I can and weather allows) another saunter/playing ball or an excursion to a cafe/garden centre that allows dogs/ or a visit into town etc in the afternoon. (Or we just play ball at home for about 20mins)
He is out for the count just now after his morning walk, so I don't do more in one go, but was wondering if the 5mins/month age thing is valid for a whole year?

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
Re: how much exercise for Lab puppy?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:36:34 am »
I use a very rough guide of '1 minute per week of age' for our Golden Retriever puppy, so we are about the same. 

You don't want to damage their joints, so no jumping off things and using the stairs etc if you can avoid it (appreciate how hard that can be though!!).  They grow SO fast!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:48 am »
I got him weighed yesterday (my vets has scales in the waiting room, so I can jut pop in and us them), and he is 12.7kgs at 16 weeks old...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:58:11 am »
This is all very well, but we need pictures Anke!   :D  :eyelashes: :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 03:40:09 pm »
I am pleased that you have brought this up as I have a 13 week old german shepherd who has a few 5 minute bursts playing in the yard every day and a short walk to check the sheep every other day.  The sheep walks are due to increase to every day shortly.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:41:24 am »
I have had a Bob a Lot recommended as a food dispenser for mine, it is due to arrive today so we will see.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 10:28:49 am »

Unfortunately I am already struggling to not get him to pick all sorts of rubbish (stones, leaves, the horse poo that the endurance riders at the weekend kindly left on my drive way and the road…), so encouraging finding his food is not on my agenda at the moment. He gets his exercise and we do a lot of short bursts of training. Maybe a toy with "hidden food" is a better idea, as I can take it away at the end of "thinking" time. I'll have a look what's around.

Just got back from a 15minute walk/bounce about and he is flat out on his cushion! So I can make my cheese! Feels like having a baby again in the house - baby sleeps, so you have an hour to get on with the proper jobs!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 08:21:30 pm »
So long as puppy can adjust the amount of playtime and it's off lead - as opposed to long forced walks or being taken miles and having to walk back home or feeling obligated to keep 'working' while owner does - then I don't agree with limits. For sure there are effects on development if they're pulling or being pulled on leads but if they want to run and play free, crash out and sleep then play again etc I'm happy and so are they.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 08:51:34 pm »

I have read a rough calculation that lab puppies should be exercised at about 5mins per months of age per day, so meaning my nearly 4 months old pup should only be getting 20mins of walkies/playing ball/creating general havoc a day…

Is that correct?

Bentley is currently getting about 20mins of walking (with some heel etc training thrown in) in the morning, then (if I can and weather allows) another saunter/playing ball or an excursion to a cafe/garden centre that allows dogs/ or a visit into town etc in the afternoon. (Or we just play ball at home for about 20mins)
He is out for the count just now after his morning walk, so I don't do more in one go, but was wondering if the 5mins/month age thing is valid for a whole year?
Yes 5 mins per month of age per day, but a little more of gentle play won't hurt too much.  After 6 months it can be increased to 7/8 mins per month
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 06:44:09 am »
One game my lab x collie liked was to find his toy, gradually got it so he'd sit / stay in one room while I hid it in another or out in the garden, then 'find it' and bring it back to me for another go.  No food involved and very good training.  There was no way I was going to tire him out, he could've kept going all day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS