Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mama chicken with her babies.....the rest of the flock?  (Read 1935 times)

ann_of_loxley

• Joined Jun 2018
  • Cumbria UK
Mama chicken with her babies.....the rest of the flock?
« on: September 06, 2018, 04:32:09 pm »
For the first time ever, we had a broody chicken!  Where did all the eggs go?  Under her...to her, they were all hers!  So we moved her.  And they actually hatched!  So now we have a mama chicken with six little chicks of her own.  She is so proud and protective of them.  But my question is...when can we move them back?  When can they re-join the rest of the flock again? 

Bonzie

• Joined Dec 2016
Re: Mama chicken with her babies.....the rest of the flock?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:57:23 pm »
Mother will stay with them for about 6 weeks and then return to the flock. You will have to house the chicks for a couple of months on there own until they are big enough to join the flock. Hope this helps.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 06:42:04 am »
i have found that if you keep mum and chicks in sight of the rest of the flock they will usually accept the chicks with minimal problems. I usually let mine out with mum at 5-6 weeks, sometimes earlier and they are always fine. However, we have no predators here for them so I would maybe not advise letting them out that young elsewhere.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 06:20:15 pm »
I’ve got a couple of broody hens with 2 chicks between them out with a few other chickens and ducks. The hens are fiercely protective and everyone knows to stay out of their way. They are all housed together and get on fine

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 08:47:19 am »
If you site the broody coop within the flock’s area, the mother can bring the chicks out to forage amongst the other flock members, so they will get to know them.  The mother will protect them from any pecking or bullying.  Then when the mother leaves them at six weeks old or thereabouts, they’re already integrated into the flock.  You can move them to the main perches when you’re ready.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 08:40:48 pm »
I found a missing hen under some overgrown weeds together with 13 eggs. She is Araucana and 10 eggs were blue with 3 others. 10 hatched and they all stayed in the open irrespective of the weather for 3 weeks despite my encouragement to get them inside somewhere. Then one night they were all in a coop along with 7 other hens and a cock. That was about a week ago and they are all living happily ever for the time being.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 08:30:37 am »
how lovely! You did want another 10 chickens yes?  :eyelashes:

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 04:18:36 pm »
I have found its better to be safe than sorry. Carnage has happened :coat: :yuck:
so i leave mother and chicks in a seperate coop within sight of the main flock until chicks are on growers pellets or they are 'off heat' and weaned as it were.... :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS