Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making the Most of Maternity Leave  (Read 8025 times)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Making the Most of Maternity Leave
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:38 pm »
I found antenatal classes a complete waste of time. I managed to find a good book about pregnancy and read it cover to cover. My lifestyle even 30years ago bore no resemblance to the rest of the class and I didn't even fit in at mother and toddler, I fortunately found a friend with the same passion as me for four legs and we often penned our children together.
 I think you have to read any information provided from reputable sources, ie NHS, but also keep in mind that like most of life deliveries sometimes do not go to plan, and that is not a failure, just the way it is. I had to have my first child induced, epidural, then was in hospital for 9 days. The second popped out under her own steam, with just some gas. Each birth was special in its own way.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 08:07:39 pm »
I'd guess that, like many things, the NHS/NCT script depends on the particular enthusiasms, or not, of the folks involved. 

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 06:59:12 am »
Well labour started spontaneously four days after due date. I did the evening milking with contractions coming every four minutes. Murdo was out with forceps by 4am and my partner returned home around 7am to milk the goats and get all animals fed and watered. We were in hospital for five days due to an infection picked up in hospital. This was a very special time of quietness, cuddles and healing. The staff brought my medicine and meals and fresh sheets and my partner came in with fresh clothes and nappies. All this support meant my son has only worn one disposable nappy in his life.

10 weeks later and my partner is in charge of the animals that live outdoors (goats and sheep) while I manage the indoor living ones. Having the dogs means I’m out walking with my son in a carrier every day. I sold four goats and one of my two milkers is just milked once a day (the other is milk recorded). One of the girls had a staph infection but thank goodness we haven’t had cocci or poisoning or orf or a broken leg.

With hindsight, I should have said no to so many visitors in the first three weeks or at least asked them to leave after an hour. I also should have started co-sleeping sooner! Now I know all about Prolactin! The best item in the baby box is the wrap - no need to put your baby down!

Now I just drop everything for breastfeeding and haven’t even googled polytunnels or pigs. The hens are just going to stay on my dad’s farm and I’ll collect their eggs on our weekly visit to the grandparents. I also paid for a window cleaner!

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:20 am »
Welcome to baby Murdo! I hope you can manage to raise him on your smallholding - well done to you all!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 10:03:03 am »
Congratulations and welcome to Murdo.  It sounds like you're settling into it well.

My Rowan is 5 weeks now. Ended up with a section that had complications so still not up to walking fat.  Finding the sling helpful too. Rowan has worn more disposables than his sister had by this age I think but I still can't lift the laundry basket.  I'm finding it hard being do house bound but am breastfeeding and cuddling and they each have their own value.

Enjoy this time. Murdo will be big before you know it!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2018, 03:24:49 pm »
Congratulations, Dans! Rowan was on my names list if we had a girl. Best wishes for recovery.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 06:43:07 pm »
Congrats to you both  :thumbsup: enjoy the babies, but also whatever rest you can get!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 11:34:02 am »
Another congrats on the babies! 
I have just given up cosleeping with my nearly 2 year old. It was killing me as he was still on a newborn clock (feeding every 1-2 hours through the night). He was ill with multiple serious food allergies, stopped growing and got thin but is now growing and developing well, so it def worked for him :-)   
Keep up the amazing work of being mummies!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS