Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solutions for muddy chicken pen!  (Read 2433 times)

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
Solutions for muddy chicken pen!
« on: October 18, 2018, 07:53:39 pm »
Hi Everyone,Just interested and neding some advice.  My chicken pen is extremely muddy and I am considering using something to give the hens a clean surface.  The roof is usually covered with tarpauline but with the storm it ripped badly so we removed it.  The hens are free ranging in the day and only go in there at night but with winter coming and the possibility of bird flu regulations I thought I would get some ideas.   I have bought a replacement tarpauline but its not in place yet.
I am considering straw or bark mulch - any other suggestions -what do you recommend?Our pen is very large and cannot be moved hence the problem.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Solutions for muddy chicken pen!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 10:18:02 pm »
I use chipped bark for the same set up as you describe. A tree management company nearby is happy to drop a truck load for us when we ask. It needs topping up from time to time.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:31:51 am »
Straw is a disaster in mud, it doesn't absorb well and will become wet and heavy in no time and then you're back to square 1. Bark can cause mould spores as it's quite damp itself and affect breathing so don't use that. We used wood chip with good success, the stuff we used was very fine recycled woodchip which lasted a good 18 months before it needed topping up again (next weeks job with digger, tractor and trailer). Large chipped hard wood is your best bet but it's best to let the mud dry out and then put it down on a dry surface rather than on mud.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:34:02 am »
Back in my Exmoor smallholding days, we found that a large covered area around the hen house, under which we spread barked chippings, with straw as they got nearer the house (which didn’t get wet and soggy too quickly as that area was covered) worked really well.

Over a winter, the bark would gradually mulch down, so in spring we could lift the cover and move the house, or move the hens to a different run, and let that winter’s bark and straw mulch in and grass grow on it again.

In a very muddy winter we did need to spread more barked chippings, but I don’t remember having to do it more than once or twice.

When I say ‘barked chippings’, these were a cross between woodchip and bark.  Similar size to bark, but not just bark.  They worked better than either bark (too soft, and sank in too quickly) or plain woodchip (too small, disappeared equally quickly.). I’m not sure what is the correct term for them.  If you can’t find any, I expect a good layer of woodchip with a good layer of bark on top would probably have a similar effect, but would expect to need to replenish the outer edges more often through the winter.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:52:52 pm »
 :wave: Thanks everybody - great advice - off to find a supplier for woodchip.  At least we have had a dry week.  Will cover the pen first I think to dry it further.  Just hoping we dont have more regulations with bird flu.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:06 pm »
Just to throw a slight curve ball. Have you considered the recycled rubber chippings (saw advert in Country smallholder mag)? When i eventually get chickens i am considering these as they can be taken out, washed and re-used.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 07:47:40 am »
Unfortunately rubber chippings can contain extremely sharp pieces of high tensile steel wire from car tyres which are obviously no good for chickens' feet. For that reason i avoided it.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 07:53:43 am »
Use some concrete flags for some of the area. You can brush them off and wash them.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 09:18:25 am »
Unfortunately rubber chippings can contain extremely sharp pieces of high tensile steel wire from car tyres which are obviously no good for chickens' feet. For that reason i avoided it.

They never mentioned that in the article. Hmm that's a bit worrying that a magazine of such quality and reputation would allow a product which could hurt the animal to be advertised and/or recommended
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 01:00:08 pm »
re the rubber chip , we had an exercise school made for the horses, and liked the idea of rubber , the samples had wire in them,and our SEPA friend advised us against it unless we could very effectively contain the stuff, so sand it was . We use wood chip for the chickens that we produce,

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 04:37:21 pm »
Wood chippings here too. Occasionally rake over or top up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS