Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One of my sheep is very thin  (Read 7459 times)

waterhouse

One of my sheep is very thin
« on: October 01, 2010, 08:03:00 pm »
The others are putting on weight but not this one tho' he has an appetite and buries his head in the food bucket.  They were all wormed when I bought them - saw it done - so what's the likely problem?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Re: One of my sheep is very thin
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:58:29 am »
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:37:18 am »
Hi! A few questions:  What is the age of the sheep, is it a ewe?  Has she been feeding lambs?  How long ago is it since they were wormed and if more than six weeks, it might need another dose/change of wormer.  If the ewe has lambed a few times they tend to look thin on the back end anyway because everything tends to drop!  If she's been feeding lambs this year, particularly twins, it can take it out of them and it can be a while before they are back in condition.  You could try taking a droppings sample and sending it to the vets for a worm count but this is a bit of a pain because you have to isolate the sheep for a while to make sure you're getting poo from the right sheep.  And of course, you will be charged but not sure how much (someone else on this site might though)  Cheers!!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »
Liver fluke is a likely candidate at this time of year. Did the dose you used do fluke as well?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 10:10:14 pm »
He's one of this years boys. The others are all on weight but he isn't and you can feel every bone in his back. The farmer I bought him from dosed all of then as we loaded them but I don't know with what.

We don't have any running water on or near our property. Is liver fluke still a risk in Hertfordshire?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:14:27 pm »
Regarding the likelihood of fluke, I would ask your nearest sheep farmer if he has to dose for fluke. If he does then you will need to as well.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS