Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Converting old torch to LED?  (Read 7223 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Converting old torch to LED?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 02:52:01 pm »
You could go wild with that... lose the reflector, a couple of discs of plastic or even wood with enough drill holes to let the tips of 100leds poke through and the backing disc isolating the wire pairs... light up Yorkshire with that....If you need to stick anything in place then kitchen sealant wuld be adequate and waterproof. Hours of fun drilling holes and soldering it up...
Last year I bought a little light string from asda, £1, found a plywood board, drilled holes in it to poke bulbs through, fastened a little dolly switch on, lights run off 2 AA batteries, brilliant little light board. One of my better ideas ????.
You've given me ideas for the torch, not sure about soldering though ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 08:40:14 pm »
picture of torch, it seems the only way to get to the bulb is to pull it apart, but it doesn't give easily and worried about it breaking the front off.
Aha white bit unclips,just turn it so lugs disengage pull away from reflector, then lift bulb out .
Tried that, and just tried again, it just turns, back of reflecter has a ridge right round,
Only way I can think of is to prise lugs back with a screwdriver. Bit dodgy though.
the white bit will come off , try prizing the lugs back but warm it in case its brittle, but it will come off . ( or a very large hammer and put the battery on ebay  :o )_

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 10:55:01 pm »
the white bit will come off , try prizing the lugs back but warm it in case its brittle, but it will come off . ( or a very large hammer and put the battery on ebay  :o )_

;D

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 06:43:32 am »
Last year I bought a little light string from asda, £1, found a plywood board, drilled holes in it to poke bulbs through, fastened a little dolly switch on, lights run off 2 AA batteries, brilliant little light board. One of my better ideas ??? ?.
You've given me ideas for the torch, not sure about soldering though ?
Soldering would be more reliable and less fiddly than crimping but you might be able to do that with some tiny brass or copper tube bits from a  hobby shop squeezed over the wire pairs. Even stripping some copper out of scrap mains wire, hammered flattened and a 'U' shape squeezed over the pairs but it risks loosening with use and temperature changes.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 12:42:24 pm »

[

Got it  ;D
Carefully levered off with screwdriver
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:47:44 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 01:25:13 pm »

[

Got it  ;D
Carefully levered off with screwdriver

Well thats the easy bit , reassembly on the other hand, nah ! you'll be fine , hide the left over bits , I know I do  :innocent:  , get the led bulb    that stick out a bit   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P13-5S-PR2-LED-Flashlight-Replacement-Emergency-Bike-Torch-Work-Bulb-3-4-5-6V-UK/162945138008?hash=item25f0497d58:m:m6I8hhsaM4CwBz2G2XHX3bQ:rk:3:pf:1   then bask in the satisfied glow ( see what I did there ) of  achievement

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 02:56:11 pm »
;D
Already ordered 2, got another torch somewhere.
(Got lots of old torches somewhere, I can see a new lease of life for the poor old pensioned off favourites :) .
But I'd better find them before ordering lots of bulbs

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 11:02:42 am »
Hmm, something to think about, led bulb is positive to centre,  torch takes outer coil (positive) thru switch to side of bulb. Old bulbs of course work either way.
Darn it, why is nothing ever simple? ????

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 05:58:26 pm »
Hmm, something to think about, led bulb is positive to centre,  torch takes outer coil (positive) thru switch to side of bulb. Old bulbs of course work either way.
Darn it, why is nothing ever simple? ????

The ones above I linked to are like many replacement torch bulbs are " Universal Polarity Positive (+) or Negative (-) on Bottom contact or flange!"

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 06:34:23 pm »
Darn it, why is nothing ever simple? ??? ?

The ones above I linked to are like many replacement torch bulbs are " Universal Polarity Positive (+) or Negative (-) on Bottom contact or flange!"
Yes, those were the ones I ordered,  been looking how to send a comment, but I can't remember password, will have to put desktop on later.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS