Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cattles reproductive cycle  (Read 4040 times)

princesspiggy

cattles reproductive cycle
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:34:46 pm »
do cows expel blood during their reproduction cycle?

robert waddell

Re: cattles reproductive cycle
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:48:47 pm »
what colour
is it meant to be in calve or are you meaning its menstrual cycle

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »
menstrual cycle. these are my first cows. (im from horsey background, and they dont lose blood.) one of the cows had blood all over her tail today. was fresh this morn but dark and dirty tonight. shes 6 mths. i initially thought she might have been bitten by one of the ponies as she was shaking her tail alot but no injury, so i thought maybe cows lose blood during season? i just presumed they wouldnt, like horses dont, feel a bit daft for not knowing!!

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:15:03 pm »
they are just like humans its all part of the learning curve
it is a heifer not a cow once it calves it becomes a cow or any other expletive if things go wrong

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:20 pm »
oh right, so they bleed everytime they have a season? theyve been jumping on eachother since iv had them (about 2 months) but never seen blood before.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:05:22 pm »
thats them just beginning to cycle (at 6 mth) cattle jump on each other when they are in season (receptive or gouping for it)

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:10:09 pm »
well one has a rather large belly, they were tested neg for preg before i bought as they were running with the bull. i will sigh with relief when she has her season. hope shes just rotund.!!   ;D :cow:

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:23:04 pm »
o dear the one with the belly did she have the blood  what breed what age were they when you got them how long have you had them

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:18:47 am »
PP, I assume you've joined the Shetland Cattle Breeders Association. If not, I'd advise you to do so. They are very helpful indeed and produce a helpful newsletter every couple of months. The Secretary is aveilable by email and there are regional reps. too.

Shetland cattle are sexually mature very early. It seems that  it is not impossible for them to calve for the first time at 12 - 15 months, although this is usually by accident rather than design. Generally, while not desirable, it doesn't seem to adversely affect future performance. The conformation of teh Shetland means that the vast majority, even young heifers, will calve themselves. There was a newsletter article about this in the spring.

My two had been with their dams and the bull (their sire) until 6 months of age, so my vet gave them a hormone injection just after they arrived. This brought them into season and caused them to abort any calf they may be carrying. I suspect they were not in calf.

You said the vet PD them 2-3 weeks vebore they came down. I assume they were isolated from the bull thereafter. I'm not an expert, but the claf doesn't really grow in size until the last 1/3 of gestation, so if she could only be 2 months pregnant - ie caught between the PD and coming to you - it wouldn't show yet.

If you're worried, get your own vet to examine her. He might be able to do an ultrasound.

I did PM you but sent it to Dan by mistake. Will send it on  ;D

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:57:55 pm »
The good thing about heifers (ie a young cow that's not calved before) is that if they are pregnant, you can tell at about 5 months because at this stage you will notice the teats hanging down and the udder start to develop. If this happens then make sure you don't have the animal on a fattening diet as all the extra goodness will go into the calf and you'll have problems at birth. By the time you get to that stage though, the animals should be out on grass, so don't give any extra food to any you suspect to be pregnant.

I have had a heifer calve ok at 15 months. Fortunately it was a female calf and she managed all on her own.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 04:39:55 pm »
i will go and look, thanx
vet is due next month so will maybe get her checked out. i just think wouldnt 2 animals of same breed /sire and age look similar in size, she is taller though
thanks tho

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS