Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Micro Dairy - portable set up  (Read 1762 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Micro Dairy - portable set up
« on: April 26, 2019, 04:10:52 pm »
Hello fellow smallholders!
My dream is to set up a microdairy - mostly for producing cheese - Polish style smoked hard cheeses but the list of possibilities is endless.
I am thinking of milking between 5-15 cows of breeds suitable for cheese production, i.e. NOT Holstein or JERSEY - their milk is actually not the best for cheese production - fantastic for butter obviously. Perhaps Dairy Shorthorn, Albion, Redpoll (there is a guy 10 miles from us who milks around 50 of them and makes cheese commercially!), Shetland, or even WATER BUFFALO, or Lacaune sheep. Traditional Polish cheeses are mix of Sheep (min 60%), Cow and Goat milk actually.

I would love to use movable milking parlour. There is a company in Lithuania that makes really good ones!
I love the idea! I wanted to use mob grazing anyway, and this set up would be perfect. Cows wouldn't have to walk all the way back to the milking parlour twice a day and waste all their beautiful fertilizer on the road.
Have a look for yourselves:
https://milkingsystem.com/product-list/mobile-milking-parlours/mobile-milking-parlor-motech2

They have videos on youtube as well.
Really cool!

Please dont laugh at me! I know this is not easy to implement but is doable, as there are people who are doing similiar things. All I need to do now is wait for a letter that says I inherited a fortune from a great uncle from America or win a lottery  :fc: :innocent:

That's the video:
https://youtu.be/N5D7ay36Rus
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:25:25 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Micro Dairy - portable set up
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 07:29:40 pm »
Enjoyed the video  and started me wondering , buy a used horse trailer ,easy to tow has a ramp and 2 stalls with front opening doors to let the cows out when finished . Then buy a  single milking unit with an engine and a small tank which sits in the back of the pickup or front bucket of a tractor loader which pulls the horse box??????

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 08:23:59 pm »
Have a look at.
https://www.rawmilkproducers.co.uk/
There are all types and of sizes of producers. Worth joining for the all the pooled information.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 09:11:01 pm »
Our portable nano-dairy :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 10:26:38 pm »
Our portable nano-dairy :)
That's the best one!

Pray for us that we get enough land soon. We are looking around in Wales as it's sooo much cheaper than around here. But obviously we know the market around Leicester
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS