Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphaned lamb and intro into a flock  (Read 1364 times)

The meem

• Joined Aug 2018
Orphaned lamb and intro into a flock
« on: August 28, 2018, 02:20:19 pm »
I am half way round the world in a small town South of Dallas/ Ft. Worth area.  My elderly neighbor has about 100acres next to our 1.5 acre.  He raises hair sheep.  I volunteer to put up his sheep at night and let them out in the morning from a fenced area preventing the coyotes from a nightly feast.  One morning there was a tiny lamb whose mom wasn't caring for,as he was a twin.
I watched in the morning and at night to see if he was nursing at all and found that he was not. 
I took him home, made up a homemade brew of colostrum I found on the web, Monday morning I took him to vet for inspection.
The vet said if he hadn't gotten any colostrum he wouldn't make it.  Sadden I took him home and started bottle feeding him which took about 1 1/2 days for him to take to.
He is now 9 weeks, grazing, enjoying corn and mulberry leaves and of course all my flowers.
We have neighbors who have about 14 head of hair sheep who said they would take him after he is weaned.
So my question is:. Will he adapt to the flock as he has been around humans his entire short life?   Feeling I will be experiencing empty nest syndrome. 
Thanks for your input.  Meem

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Orphaned lamb and intro into a flock
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 08:07:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum Meem

Can’t answer your question, I’m sure someone will be along soon that can

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:16:45 pm »
Hi Meem and welcome. I raised 2 pet lambs from a day old this year, ended up following me around like 2 dogs. Great fun in the beginning but ended up being under my feet. Once they had finished their creep feed, slowly reducing the amount given every day I turned them into a small field with the rest of the flock, they soon sort themselves out, though they don't like being herded by the sheepdogs they get to know they are part of the flock.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 06:07:42 am »
They really need their own species as company so they learn to interact properly. I would give him to your neighbour and let them keep the lamb with their flock. You should be able to wean the lamb now (if not already weaned). The lamb might get pushed around a little to start with but as soon as he earns manners I think the sheep will accept him.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 07:21:19 am »
Yes he will know he’s a sheep and will integrate. He’s plenty old enough to wean now.  He will make friends with other lambs in the flock and have playmates, which will be much nicer for him.

Will your neighbour be happy for you to visit him in the flock?  He will never forget you and will always like to come up to you and say hello.  Don’t let him mug you for food though, or rub his head against you; he will get too big and strong for these behaviours to be safe!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS