Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Appetite in hot weather  (Read 1748 times)

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
Appetite in hot weather
« on: July 07, 2018, 07:24:57 am »
Hi

Do pigs lose their appetite a bit in hot weather? Our 2 (saddle back and saddleback x duroc) have only eaten about half their normal amount over the past 2 days. They're in 1/3 acre field with grasses/brambles etc. They're still active and come running over each feed time but little interest in the food itself. They are rooting but the dryness of the ground is tough. We have a hose that we have sprayed them with and tried to create a muddy patch for them to cool off in although this dries up so unfortunately it is intermittent. They do have access to some man made shade and we wormed them a couple of weeks ago with Flubenol.

Any help please! Thanks!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Appetite in hot weather
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 08:12:58 am »
Do they have plenty of clean drinking water?

Our pigs are eating the same as usual.  We top up their drinking water and two wallows three times a day in this weather.   I had a pig got ill through lack of water / salt poisoning in hot weather so I’m a bit anal about making sure they have both drinking water and plenty of wallow.  (Two wallows for four pigs.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 08:17:13 am »
Thanks SallyintNorth

We have a small self filling water trough so constant supply. They do muddy it up but we clear it if needed at least twice a day. Perhaps we need to be more on top of the wallow. Heading out now!

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 08:51:47 am »
So as I stand here with my hosepipe they're running between water, wallow and food so hoping it was just a heat thing. Will keep on top of the mud and leave more trugs of water around too.

Thanks ???????????!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 12:15:50 pm »
Yes they can , as said , plenty of access to water and shade and of course a wallow, same for the pigs as well.
maybe better to offer the feed in the evening when its a bit cooler.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS